Spyserver Connection - DOuble Colon

All bug reports here please
Techrep

Spyserver Connection - DOuble Colon

Unread post by Techrep »

Installation: Win 10 Pro Dell XPS 15 Laptop, plenty of space. SDR Console installed, no attached radios.

Completed installation and didn't have a locally attached device to test with. Brought up SDRSharp, found an open Spyserver site and copied the IP address.

From COnsole Home tab clicked 'Select Radio', 'Definitions', 'Search', select 'AirSpy' and 'SPY Server'.

Entered the IP address of the device, PORT 5555 was already filled in. Click 'Search' device connection details come through, the Airspy serial number is detected. I add it to the definitions list. so far, so good.

I tried to connect and no dice.

Upon closer inspection the address for the radio entry apears to have two colons between the IP address and the Port.
Spyserver double colon 1.png
Is this bug or am I doing something fundamentally wrong when trying to set this source up?

Chris, KD6OUB

Max

Re: Spyserver Connection - DOuble Colon

Unread post by Max »

Techrep wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 8:25 pm
From COnsole Home tab clicked 'Select Radio', 'Definitions', 'Search', select 'AirSpy' and 'SPY Server'.

Entered the IP address of the device, PORT 5555 was already filled in. Click 'Search' device connection details come through, the Airspy serial number is detected. I add it to the definitions list. so far, so good.

I tried to connect and no dice.

Chris, KD6OUB
I've never tried to connect to a SpyServer before. Did not even know it was an option, so after your post I followed the instructions here:

https://www.sdr-radio.com/airspy-server

I picked a radio from here that was displaying the green dot:

https://airspy.com/directory/#

Ran it and it worked first time, and yes, I also see the double colon before the port number (5555), however the streaming was a bit patchy at anything other than very low bandwidth. I have a fast fibre wired LAN connection (not wifi). Simon mentions in the instructions that WiFI is not a good connection option for the Spy Server option. As you are running a laptop, you don't say if it's wifi or wired LAN?

If you just want a server radio to test the software, why use the SpyServer option? Why not use Simon's native SDRC V3 Servers which I think you will find a more friendly option in terms of connection requirement? There are many Airspy radios connected if that's what you prefer to trial?

Same procedure to connect but go to bottom of radios list and select "V3 Server" instead, then browse for radio of choice and "add" the radio in the same way. You will soon find a radio that works well. I can recommend servers from "KA1GJU Super Station" run by Kriss. They are nearly always up and a great choice of radios with very nice antennas!

Good luck

Max

Techrep

Unread post by Techrep »

Max,

Thanks for the reply. The laptop is running a wired connection.

I was running Simon's latest production build and I was at work, I didn't have a radio handy. I chose the Spyserver route because it is one I am familair with.

As you say, it works for you. It doesn't for me, I took the opportunity to report what I thought was a bug.

Simon, if you are watching please feel free to close this thread.

-Chris

Max

Unread post by Max »

Techrep wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 10:09 pm Max,

I was running Simon's latest production build and I was at work, I didn't have a radio handy. I chose the Spyserver route because it is one I am familiar with.

As you say, it works for you. It doesn't for me, I took the opportunity to report what I thought was a bug.

Simon, if you are watching please feel free to close this thread.

-Chris
Hi Chris

I guess you tried several other Spyservers to make sure it was not just a bandwidth issue with that particular source at the other end?

If it's a case of wanting a remote radio to test SDRC I would urge you to try the V3 servers as this is the native server system which works best on SDR Console.

Good luck.

Max

Techrep

Unread post by Techrep »

Max,

Thanks for the response, I'll do as you suggest.

Nonetheless, there are double colons marking the delineation between the address and port. If it is cosmetic I'm sure Simon will get around to resolving it in the fullness of time.

-Chris

Max

Unread post by Max »

Techrep wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 6:41 pm Max,

Thanks for the response, I'll do as you suggest.

Nonetheless, there are double colons marking the delineation between the address and port. If it is cosmetic I'm sure Simon will get around to resolving it in the fullness of time.

-Chris
Yes, agreed Chris. Hopefully Simon will see this and address it (excuse the pun!).

Max