Wrong frequency shown after changing / dialing

All bug reports here please
DK7FM

Wrong frequency shown after changing / dialing

Unread post by DK7FM »

Hey there,

either I am too blind to check it out, or it seems that the porgram shows the wrong frequency after I dialed/switched it to "look around". I used the numbers on the left, also the black-yellowish slider at the lowest bottom.
I could not find out any threads here because i literally did not now what to look for :/

I checked it at the APRS signal @144.800 MHz which was correct at the start of the program. After I dialed around and back, the signal was on a different frequency BUT at the same position on the monitor! So I really dont know what to do to see and FIND signals on their frequency, when its wrong displayed after every change...
the screenshot shows the 146.800, but it could be any random frequency, depending on which number I dialed. here I chanced the 1MHz number obviously.

thank you for helping,

Sinan
Attachments
rightwrong.png
Bildschirmfoto 2021-04-26 um 19.52.44-RTL Dongle USB - R820T __ SDR Console v3.0.27.png
Bildschirmfoto 2021-04-26 um 19.52.10-RTL Dongle USB - R820T __ SDR Console v3.0.27.png

N5NHJ

Re: Wrong frequency shown after changing / dialing

Unread post by N5NHJ »

Hi Sinan,
Which hardware are you using?
73, Max

DK7FM

Unread post by DK7FM »

Oh, I'm sorry to forget that.

I'm using an RTL Stick, the NESDR SMAtree which worked fine on the old computer and even at the macbook and raspberry pi. it's attached directly to the usb port at the case, no hub, no extensioncable.
The PC is a Win10 PC, hardware I think doesn't matter any further here? :)

73, Sinan

KA1GJU

Unread post by KA1GJU »

Good evening Sinan,

Are you saying that you hear APRS signals on the indicated frequency of 146.800? Visually, I don't see anything wrong in the first image (the one with the right and wrong notations).

As for tuning around the bands, I use a scrolling wheel type of mouse. Place the cursor in the waterfall or spectrum scope and roll the wheel. You can also place the cursor over the frequency digits in the DSP panel and scroll.

73 Kriss KA1GJU
73 Kriss KA1GJU Home of the KA1GJU Super Station SDRC Servers in NH, USA (FN42mw & FN43na)

DK7FM

Unread post by DK7FM »

KA1GJU wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 11:41 pm Good evening Sinan,

Are you saying that you hear APRS signals on the indicated frequency of 146.800? Visually, I don't see anything wrong in the first image (the one with the right and wrong notations).

As for tuning around the bands, I use a scrolling wheel type of mouse. Place the cursor in the waterfall or spectrum scope and roll the wheel. You can also place the cursor over the frequency digits in the DSP panel and scroll.

73 Kriss KA1GJU
Hey Kriss,

thanks for your reply.
Right, in the first image with 144.800 frequency, there is the APRS signal (and it should be there ;)
After tuning around, it appears at 146.800, only the position "on screen" is the same. this is why I put the green line... hard to describe, I know :?

jdow

Unread post by jdow »

By green line I presume you mean the wider than signal bandwidth heavily shaded top to bottom green region to the left of the spectrum, right? If you can use the built in video tool to create a 20 second or so video that shows this happening it MIGHT lead Simon right to the piece of code that is getting skipped.

{o.o}

DK7FM

Unread post by DK7FM »

Hey there, LOOONG time no SDR but now I'm back in the hobby :)
I recorded a video to show my problem of frequency switching - what you can see in the screenshot above. The waterfall and spectrum does not fit to the frequency anymore afte switching to another one which is not that nice...

I put it to my dropbox and linked it here: Dropboxlink to video

Probably it's just ONE option checked or unchecked, but it would be amazing if someone could help me out :)

best 73,
Sinan, DK7FM

Max

Unread post by Max »

DK7FM wrote: Sun Aug 22, 2021 12:52 pm
I recorded a video to show my problem of frequency switching - what you can see in the screenshot above. The waterfall and spectrum does not fit to the frequency anymore after switching to another one which is not that nice...

Probably it's just ONE option checked or unchecked, but it would be amazing if someone could help me out :)

best 73,
Sinan, DK7FM
Hi Sinan

Welcome back into the hobby. Can honestly say I have never seen this behaviour or anything like it. I tried to emulate with my RTL-SDR V3 but cannot see anything similar. My guess is that this is hardware related?

Do you have any other compatible SDR hardware that you can try with. If not, then I would suggest that you try with one of the V3 Server remote radios (there are many) to see if you see the same effect:

https://www.sdr-radio.com/server#Connecting
(Skip out the part about setting up the server for others to connect to - you are only interested in connecting to a remote radio set up by someone else, so you only need the three sections Connecting>Add definition>Starting)

Also I note (not that I think this is the issue) that you are running SDRC version 3.0.27. I would always suggest update to latest version which is now 3.1. No need to remove the copy you have, just install over the top of your copy. It keeps all the settings so nothing to worry about:

https://www.sdr-radio.com/download

Max

DK7FM

Unread post by DK7FM »

Hey Max, thanks for the reply. I also thought about a hardware issue, probably a driver issue? I do use a SMArtee Stick… But i want to upgrade to a better piece of hardware anyways, so this could be a reason… BUT I have to take a look around, there're so many … Any recommendations? HF would be nice as well, but depends on price :) The Adalm pluto or HackRF could be nice for the QO100 satellite communication

Best,
Sinan, DK7FM

jdow

Unread post by jdow »

You changed the receiver frequency. You did not change the front end frequency. I bet the receiver muted. If you look at the bottom frequency bar that shows the front end tuning. You can slide it back and forth. That is the mode I prefer. YMMV quite significantly. People often consider me weird. {^_-}

Before suggesting a fix please allow me to suggest visiting the tools menu and the options property pages. There is a lot of stuff in there that adjusts how SDRC operates. Seeing it all even without changing anything might lead you to problem solutions quicker than help here.

Now the answer to your issue is probably in these property pages. Bring them up. On the left there is a tree view. Select "Tuning->General". Right there at the top are a pair of radio buttons. I always run with the top one ticked. But you might like the action with the lower button selected. I tend to have several receivers up at once and I don't want the front end jumping around following whomever yelled squirrel last. With only one receiver up it probably is nice to have the front end jump in frequency when the radio's tuning goes out of the front end's band.

{^_^} Joanne