issue with changing frequency

All bug reports here please
Kanakun

Re: issue with changing frequency

Unread post by Kanakun »

jdow wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 10:11 am There is a setting in the rtlsdr property pages that allows automatic switching to the (pathetic) HF modes. If that is not set and you try to select HF, it's not going to work. I *never* use that mode so I don't often think of it.
i tried this but still no luck

PD3LK

Unread post by PD3LK »

Hi, have you deleted the RTL radio definition and added it again? then pls show screenshots
r/Leon

Kanakun

Unread post by Kanakun »

PD3LK wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 5:17 am Hi, have you deleted the RTL radio definition and added it again? then pls show screenshots
r/Leon
ive tried deleting it with no luck, and what screenshots do you want?

PD3LK

Unread post by PD3LK »

i suspect there's not enough USB power from your PC. (bios setting perhaps?)
Btw are you sure your using a USB2 or 3 connection on your PC?
Tried a USB2 hub with external power?
Feeding a preamp via the RTL stick? tried to disconnect it?

Kanakun

Unread post by Kanakun »

PD3LK wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 7:13 pm i suspect there's not enough USB power from your PC. (bios setting perhaps?)
Btw are you sure your using a USB2 or 3 connection on your PC?
Tried a USB2 hub with external power?
Feeding a preamp via the RTL stick? tried to disconnect it?
I'm using usb2 I've tried 3 with no luck.
yes i have tried external powered usb2 hub
i dont i have a preamp so i this isnt a problem
i haven't checked bios but as I've tried a external hub so I don't believe this a problem

jdow

Unread post by jdow »

I am mumbling here but, how much USB cable do you have between the last powered hub and the dongle?

What does Task Manager's Performance page report as the peak usage on any of your CPU's processors?

What does Task Manager Performance page report as your system's memory usage?

What does Task Manager Performance page report as your system's GPU usage?

What happens when you disconnect all USB appliances except keyboard, mouse, and rtlsdr dongle?

{^_^}

Kanakun

Unread post by Kanakun »

jdow wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 6:30 am I am mumbling here but, how much USB cable do you have between the last powered hub and the dongle?

What does Task Manager's Performance page report as the peak usage on any of your CPU's processors?

What does Task Manager Performance page report as your system's memory usage?

What does Task Manager Performance page report as your system's GPU usage?

What happens when you disconnect all USB appliances except keyboard, mouse, and rtlsdr dongle?

{^_^}
I just tested with a external HDD storage's USB ports and it worked(I didn't test it because supposedly they are USB 3.0 ports and people say they can cause issues. I believe that this also is my only hub with original cables so its power adapter must've been more powerful.) thank you everyone who helped me solve this

jdow

Unread post by jdow »

If an RTLSDR dongle fails on a computer's USB port then look to that port being overloaded. But, you didn't answer my questions.

{O.O}

Kanakun

Unread post by Kanakun »

jdow wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 9:24 am If an RTLSDR dongle fails on a computer's USB port then look to that port being overloaded. But, you didn't answer my questions.

{O.O}
cpu max is 30%
gpu max is 25%
i tested all but keyboard and mouse with no luck
memory is 31%

jdow

Unread post by jdow »

I looked at the video again. That leads to an interesting question.

First note that the RTLSDR dongles MAY present you with over a 1/4 second lag time. That's the nature of the beast. You can work around this a little with 2.4 Msps sample rates. You get around 120 ms lag time.

What happens if you make ONE frequency change and let it sit for a minute? The video was rather frenetic. Are you clicking on the new frequency you want to are you trying to drag to the new frequency? Just click. That should tune the receiver to the frequency upon which you clicked.

Look at the bottom front end frequency scale. Note it's frequency reading. Then make your frequency change as you have done it in your video but just once. Note the FRONT END frequency changes. That is NOT the receiver frequency. Why that happens to you escapes me and I'm not about to mess up my own settings for this. It MAY be that you have the tools->options->Tuning->Adjust the display frequency to make visible setting ticked. That would account for the front end frequency being tuned.

I note you appear to be using a 1 Msps sample rate. I'd change it to 2.4 Msps. You get better dynamic range performance from the dongle. And for a test open the display up to show at least +/- 1 MHz. Then repeat your operation to see if anything changes.

{^_^}