Crash when panning left beyond zero hertz

All bug reports here please
norbinz

Crash when panning left beyond zero hertz

Unread post by norbinz »

Repeatable crash in v3.1 (and prior versions):

I left-click within the left half of the waterfall display to pan to lower frequencies. That works fine until the zero-Hertz spike appears and I left-click to the left of it. Then the SDR Console window vanishes and a small popup "Please Wait..." appears for a few seconds. Similar crashing has occurred in every version that I've tried since I began using SDR Console in 2018.

Possibly related: When the zero-Hertz spike appears, the Spectrum pane's x-axis frequency labels no longer align correctly with the plot.

My radio: SDRplay RSPdx (currently), SDRplay RSP2pro (previously)
My PC: Windows 7 64-bit, i7 CPU, 32 GB memory, NVIDIA GTX 1070, desktop 2560x1440 set to Windows Classic Theme.

PD3LK

Re: Crash when panning left beyond zero hertz

Unread post by PD3LK »

Hi can you make a full screenshot just before the last click left from the 0 spike?
I don't understand that you can go lower than 0 Hz.
That was possible in the past but it should not be possible anymore. At least not with my RSP2.

Max

Unread post by Max »

norbinz wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 8:10 pm Repeatable crash in v3.1 (and prior versions):
I left-click within the left half of the waterfall display to pan to lower frequencies. That works fine until the zero-Hertz spike appears and I left-click to the left of it. Then the SDR Console window vanishes and a small popup "Please Wait..." appears for a few seconds. Similar crashing has occurred in every version that I've tried since I began using SDR Console in 2018.
Tried very hard to reproduce this with RSP2Pro. Cannot provoke it.

As per Leon's request, please post full uncropped screenshot so that we can see exactly all of your settings immediately before the last click in an attempt to reproduce.

Best

Max

norbinz

Unread post by norbinz »

That's my superpower: Breaking Stuff.

In both screenshots my cursor (not captured) is slightly left of the "17.070" indicator. If I right-click, the crash occurs.
Also notice the large zero-Hertz spike, and WWVB at 60 kHz, although the x-axis labels it around 97 kHz.
Attachments
Just before crash, SDRplay RSPdx
Just before crash, SDRplay RSPdx
Just before crash, SDRplay RSP2pro
Just before crash, SDRplay RSP2pro

Max

Unread post by Max »

norbinz wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 9:39 am If I right-click, the crash occurs.
OK. NOW I've reproduced, because in your first post you said left-click to left of cursor the crash occurs. Now I have done a RIGHT click it does indeed crash as you say. Also confirmed with my HL2 so it's not radio dependent.

I don't think I would ever have seen this myself because I can't think why I would be right-clicking at all? Is this to access a feature I don't know about?

Anyway, agreed it does crash!

Max

norbinz

Unread post by norbinz »

Doh!
Apologies.
I proof-read my post several times before submitting it, then once again later on, but still didn't catch my typo. Probably a senior moment.

R-I-G-H-T-clicking inside the waterfall pane is how I pan the waterfall left and right to browse the RF bands. Right-click near the center to pan a small amount. Right-click near the sides to pan a large amount. Right-click a signal to pan it to center. I wish it panned faster - the displays pause for about half a second after each right-click.

Max

Unread post by Max »

norbinz wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 2:59 pm Doh!
Apologies.
I proof-read my post several times before submitting it, then once again later on, but still didn't catch my typo. Probably a senior moment.

R-I-G-H-T-clicking inside the waterfall pane is how I pan the waterfall left and right to browse the RF bands. Right-click near the center to pan a small amount. Right-click near the sides to pan a large amount. Right-click a signal to pan it to center.
Strewth, you taught me something there I did not even know existed! I've always moved about in "chunks" by left clicking to left and right of the light grey "span bar" right at the bottom of the screen. Yes, I admit, that is useful. Wonder why I never saw it before?

Anyway, yes agree there's a bug there which I am sure Simon will now fix. Nice spot!

Best

Max

PD3LK

Unread post by PD3LK »

thanks for the screenshots, that helped us.
As Max i never use the right click in the WF but it crashed here also.

PD3LK

Unread post by PD3LK »