MIDI Tuning in SDR Console 3.1 (and latest beta) only working in one direction

All bug reports here please
dg1psi

MIDI Tuning in SDR Console 3.1 (and latest beta) only working in one direction

Unread post by dg1psi »

Hi,

I have setup my Contour ShuttlExpress to act as a MIDI controller for SDR Console.
The outer jog wheel is setup for fast tuning (Norm, x10, x100), based on the position of the jog wheel.

Turning the jog wheel to the left sends a Control Change message with channel 0, index 1 and a value between 18 - 126 depending how far the wheel has been turned to the left.
This is used to tune down and works as expected (Tune Norm: 18-36, Tune x10: 54-90, Tune x100: 108-126).

When turning the jog wheel to the right the same happens on channel 0, index 0 (Tune Norm: 18-36, Tune x10: 54-90, Tune x100: 108-126).
This should tune up with a speed depending on the value range. But independent of the value always the lowest enabled "Tune Up" speed is used (according to the screenshot Tune Up Norm). If I disable Tune Up Norm, then Tune Up x10 is used.

In the setup dialog the correct MIDI messages appear and the range is prefilled correctly.

I've verified this behavior in 3.1 stable as well as the latest beta.

vy 73,
Jochen, DG1PSI

PD3LK

Re: MIDI Tuning in SDR Console 3.1 (and latest beta) only working in one direction

Unread post by PD3LK »

I think it's a bug in the Shuttle, some audio guys have the same problem wth the JOG wheel
https://www.native-instruments.com/foru ... ler.23546/

dg1psi

Re: MIDI Tuning in SDR Console 3.1 (and latest beta) only working in one direction

Unread post by dg1psi »

Hi,
thank you for the link.

Actually I use the ShuttlExpress together with my own MIDI emulator ([nturl]https://github.com/dg1psi/shuttlemidi[/nturl]). Therefore I have total control over the MIDI commands that are send.
My expectation from user perspective would be that the command triggers as long as the MIDI value is in the specified range. This logic works for tuning down, but not tuning up.

I have also tried to exchange the upper and lower limits (126 - 108 instead of 108 - 126) but this has no influence.

PD3LK

Unread post by PD3LK »

OK than it must be a midi translation issue.
Strangly enough i had a similair issue with a Behringer X-Touch One and Thetis, only VFO up. It had no issues with SDRC.
Now i use a Hercules DJControl Compact that works nicely with both SDRC and Thetis.
73 Leon

dg1psi

Unread post by dg1psi »

I've implemented a workaround in my little tool.
If I invert the MIDI range for "Tune Up" it works as expected (small rotation angles have high MIDI values, large rotation angles have a small MIDI value). So it seems this is a comparison error in SDRConsole.

The new release can be found here: https://github.com/dg1psi/shuttlemidi/releases

Nevertheless, it would still be good if this could be fixed in SDRConsole.