Hermes Lite relays chattering with 3.1 2022-04-12 - fixed - user issue

Unread post by bob edwards »

Hardware:-
Hermes Lite 2 with firmware 72.8
Software:-
Windows 7 Home 32 bit
SDR Console compiled on 2022-04-12
Symptom:-
Maybe after one or two transmissions, on going to transmit, Hermes Lite relays chatter continuously, no transmit output. On going back to receive, normal operation. No power out from then on until program restart.
Tune works reliably, however.
Workaround:-
Reverted to using SDR Console 3.1 build 2320 compiled Aug 3 2021. Transceives reliably.
Last edited by bob edwards on Mon May 30, 2022 7:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

bob edwards

Re: Hermes Lite relays chattering with 3.1 2022-04-12

I've reloaded 2022-04-12 and been transmitting on and off into a dummy load for a while. I can't get it to fail as I reported, although on the air I've experienced it twice. I get the feeling it has to do with how many other programs are running as well as SDR Console. When running by itself, no sign of the problem - yet.

Max

Unread post by Max »

bob edwards wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 12:20 pm I've reloaded 2022-04-12 and been transmitting on and off into a dummy load for a while. I can't get it to fail as I reported, although on the air I've experienced it twice.
Bob, the fact you have no issues on a dummy load but you have on the air, for me it points strongly to RF getting in to PC cables and corrupting the data somewhere.

Is the antenna well matched at the antenna end? If it's not so great, do you choke off the RF on the feeder a few feet/metres from the antenna to stop RF getting back into the shack? I know for sure I can sometimes get this issue when I am running some of my more sloppy antennas!

If it's stray RF I would not mind betting you see it on some bands and not others?

http://audiosystemsgroup.com/NCDXACoaxChokesPPT.pdf

http://www.karinya.net/g3txq/chokes/

Common mode chokes very easy to make in a few minutes with FT240 torroid of the correct mix (see chart above on G3TXQ website) and few turns of teflon mini-coax + couple of cable ties.

If definitely not the above, then quite a few mentions of relay chatter on the HL2 group over the last couple years. I know at some point Steve made a mod to the gateware to reduce the likelihood. Maybe install latest gateware just in case? I'm currently on 73.2.

Also search here for relay chatter if you did not already. As I recall it's due to TX buffer under-run, but better search it out to confirm the latest fixes offered:

https://groups.google.com/g/hermes-lite

Max

bob edwards

Hi Max,
Many thanks for the tips. However, I don't get any relay chatter with version 3.1 build 2320 published Aug 3 2021, which I've gone back to. The problem in my case isn't RF feedback.
I'm running an i7 computer with 32 bit windows. Loading is reported CPU 2% GPU 12.5%, so plenty of spare processing available - although windows is prone to hog processing capacity away from sdr software at times.
I'll wait for the next issue of SDR Console and try again - build 2320 is a very usable radio as it is - I much enjoy using it.
Cheers, Bob G4BBY

bob edwards

I'll look into updating gateware as my HL2 is running version 72.8 as loaded by Makerfabs, Jan 2021.

Max

Unread post by Max »

Hi Bob

As per my first response, I know for sure there has definitely been work done in the HL2 gateware to help with the relay chattering since Jan 2021 as it was a well known issue for some users. Personally I've never had the problem, but just for information I'm on Gateware 73.2. No issues at all. Definitely update to the latest release and I am reasonably sure it will solve your issue.

See Steve Haynal's response to this post for explanation of the chatter problem:

https://groups.google.com/g/hermes-lite/c/1th5jRKX3ho

Just to check, you do have a good quality wired LAN connection I assume, not wifi? LAN switch/hub may also be a source of issues, although I don't have anything very special my end. LAN from PC to Netgear switch (nothing exotic) into HL2. Always worked fine for me. May be an issue if on a high traffic network with number of switches in series maybe?

Also, I always update SDRC to the latest available version both full release and after that to each new version issued to the Test Team. Again, I've never seen this in any version of SDRC.

However, check latency settings in SDRC HL2 setup. Here are mine:
Latency.jpg
Finally........ why run 32 bit Windows on an i7?!

Hope it helps.

Max

bob edwards

Max,
I've upgraded gateware to 73.2 and am running v3.1 build 2572 again.
I use a wired LAN with no extra switches - a very simple set up.
My latency settings are as per yours - the default ones - so they could be extended if need be.
Come to think of it, I have had very infrequent disturbance to the router on some bands - so RFI really can't be ruled out - I'll apply some more ferrite as you suggest.
Why 32 bit Windows? It made a little more sense a decade ago when I ran quite a bit of legacy software. It doesn't make much sense these days. I'll be switching 'some time soon'.
Thanks again for the help and sorry for raising an unnecessary bug report, Bob G4BBY :oops:

Max

Unread post by Max »

bob edwards wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 6:26 am Come to think of it, I have had very infrequent disturbance to the router on some bands - so RFI really can't be ruled out - I'll apply some more ferrite as you suggest.
Why 32 bit Windows? It made a little more sense a decade ago when I ran quite a bit of legacy software. It doesn't make much sense these days. I'll be switching 'some time soon'.
Thanks again for the help and sorry for raising an unnecessary bug report, Bob G4BBY
NP Bob. Good luck with it. Had a weird one myself the other day with measuring master 13.8v PSU voltage when on TX on 6m. Suddenly PSU seemed to go to 18-20v+ on TX. Bit alarming, then tried winding test leads around ferrite ring. All sorted. All my fault as antennas in bit of a mess at moment on some bands so RF probably here and there where it should not be, but weird things can happen!

Max