Annoying flickering screen only in SDR Console since GPU change.

All bug reports here please
m0rdw

Annoying flickering screen only in SDR Console since GPU change.

Unread post by m0rdw »

I have been using SDR Console with my discovery HF dongle without fault for a good few years. But since changing my GPU from a GTX Titan to a Nvidia GTX 1080Ti a few months ago, there is a constant flashing of windows within the sdr console as i move my mouse cursor around the screen. Its like they are being selected as i move my mouse cursor but causes them to flash and its horrible. Also its like a hidden window within the software keeps flickering through the spectrum display and waterfall in the upper left side of the screen as i move my mouse cursor around.

I have tried both public and beta releases, even an old 3.0. something i found saved in an old downloads folder and there is no change between the different versions of software.

I have managed to solve the issue by changing my graphics driver to a way older version, but this means that other software and games have problems because the GPU driver is so out of date and is not a functional long term solution.

I have used DDU tool to update and downgrade my graphics driver to prove the issue without doubt. With the latest driver the issue is 100% repeatable. With the old driver is 100% fixed.

This issue has persisted through 2 complete fresh installs of win 10.

It doesnt stop the software from working but its sure as hell annoying and distracting and certainly not pleasant to use compared to when its all working right. I find it strange how no one else seems to have this problem?

I run win 10 at 4k HDR with 200% scaling. SDR Console is usually maximised although it still has the same issue when in windowed mode. No other software has issues when using the latest driver, no flickering or flashing anywhere, this includes some new and some very old software.

I have registered just to try and sort this problem because its soo anoying and makes SDR Console almost unuseable!!

I have attached a video to demonstrate the issue, it clearly shows the flickering and the "hidden window" flashing through from behind the left hand side of the spectrum and waterfall as i move my mouse cursor.
Attachments
WhatsApp Video 2022-08-22 at 3.12.39 PM.mp4
(2.87 MiB) Downloaded 25 times

Max

Re: Annoying flickering screen only in SDR Console since GPU change.

Unread post by Max »

m0rdw wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 2:22 pm since changing my GPU from a GTX Titan to a Nvidia GTX 1080Ti a few months ago, there is a constant flashing of windows within the sdr console as i move my mouse cursor around the screen. Its like they are being selected as i move my mouse cursor but causes them to flash and its horrible. Also its like a hidden window within the software keeps flickering through the spectrum display and waterfall in the upper left side of the screen as i move my mouse cursor around.

I have attached a video to demonstrate the issue, it clearly shows the flickering and the "hidden window" flashing through from behind the left hand side of the spectrum and waterfall as i move my mouse cursor.
A long shot, but Nvidia produce two versions of the driver for their GPUs. One is the Studio driver (SD) and one the driver for gamers (GRD). My understanding is that for majority of non-game applications the Studio Driver should be the one to use. Maybe nothing to do with it, but did you try both versions?

Studio driver for your GPU:

https://www.nvidia.co.uk/Download/drive ... 3026/en-uk

Max

m0rdw

Unread post by m0rdw »

Hi Max

Thanks for the reply. I am aware that there are 2 versions of drivers for windows which is very confusing. However as you can see the GTX 1080Ti is a gaming orientated card and thats why i purchased it. I have tried both drivers and regarding SDR console they both behave identically with the flashing and flickering windows, however I have issues with a few games not liking the studio driver, so the gaming driver is the only one for me. I used the gaming drivers with my previous card and it never missed a beat.

Further to my original post, if i move the slider down the right hand side of the spectrum up and down to alter the brightness of colours, the flashing goes insane and its difficult to set the brightness correctly as theres so much flashing you can no longer see the screen to set the brightness of the waterfall. It also seems that when i move the mouse cursor over the same bar without clicking it, it causes the screen to flash once or twice.

Just to prove a point I disconnected my 4K monitor and changed my system resolution to native 1920x1080 with a HD monitor connected and 100% scaling ....... still the same flickering and flashing. So its nothing to do with 4K resolution!

There has to be a bug somewhere in this software as i use probably well over a hundred other apps and programs and games regularly with not one single display issue when using the latest gaming driver.

It has to be SDR Console, its the only app with an issue!!!

m0rdw

Unread post by m0rdw »

Further to my original post, I seem to have narrowed it down to a single windows setting regardless of which drivers I use.

Its simply down to whether HDR is enabled in windows display settings or not. Regardless of driver, resolution or refresh rate.

Switch it off and theres no flashing or flickering ..... SDR console is back to awesome.

Switch it on and flicker flicker flicker with every mouse movement ...... SDR console is great but the flickering is too much for the eyes.

I understand that not many people implement or enable HDR on their PC at the moment, but im a firm believer of if its available then you may as well use it. It makes a huge difference in playing games and watching videos. Even streaming in 4K HDR is a totally different animal. Its night and day for me....the icing on the cake that makes 4K even better.

I hope this helps you look for a possible fix.

Until then i'll have to toggle HDR off to use SDR Console.

Thanks for all the countless hours of work that have gone into making a cracking piece of software.

jdow

Unread post by jdow »

HDR is a gaming or video playback thing. Turn it on for those activities and off for anything else, particularly tools using direct access to the video hardware rather than usual OS calls. In the first place it is probably not going to work. In the second place your eyes will not be able to appreciate the changes higher color depths without burning your eyeballs out on mostly white graphics, which is not an issue with SDRC, though. In the third place it will slow down the video processing that takes place on the CPU in many usual mundane Windows applications.

{o.o}