Audio clicking with Win 11

All bug reports here please
Roberto Taberna

Audio clicking with Win 11

Unread post by Roberto Taberna »

My PC is a HP laptop i7-1165G7 with 16 GB RAM and CUDA GPU.
I have recently updated my PC to Win 11 22H2 build 22621.674.
I have installed SDR Console v3.2 and I noticed an annoying clicking on the audio background.
I tried to revert back to v3.1, but the problem was still there, so I have re-installed v3.2.
I assume that the problem is related to Win 11, since I'm using SDR Console since many years on Win 7 and Win 10 and I have never had this problem.
Does anybody else have this clicking audio?

73 Roberto

jdow

Re: Audio clicking with Win 11

Unread post by jdow »

Post a full size screen capture showing SDRConsole with as much of its settings data showing as possible. Then maybe a more complete reply would be possible. My GUESS is that you are asking the poor laptop to do more than it can and packets are getting dropped somewhere. Since there is no data present in your question no suggestions for where to look are possible.
{^_^}

RadioSDR1

Unread post by RadioSDR1 »

@Roberto Taberna:

Here’s my quick informal list of things in no order of importance or likelihood that can make my SDR Console produce some form of “click” or “pop” (but this is in a Windows 10 context)…

1. Wideband DSP Noise Blanker is enabled and threshold is set too low.
2. Computer is “busy”. For instance, if I open a web browser often I’ll get a few brief pops. The more busy the more popping and glitching.
3. Anti Virus scan running in background will increase the odds of #2.
4. The audio AGC is off and the gain is manually set and it is too high. Look at the volume slider under the frequency. If it goes into the red too far and/or too much that might make a transient distorted pop until the gain is turned down.
5. Sample rate bandwidth too high. For instance my system is generally not happy with 10 MHz.
6. Waterfall resolution is too high. For instance if I want to view 10 MHz bandwidth and reduce the waterfall resolution quite a bit, then my system will tolerate it much better. The faster your system the less this will probably matter.
7. Waterfall speed is too high. However, on my system this doesn’t make that much difference, waterfall resolution is much more impactful.
8. Soundcard settings. Take a look at those. Maybe the Windows 11 upgrade changed them. If the bit and/or sample rate is too high, this can create SDR Console artifacts. On my system 48,000 Khz and either 16 or 24 bit works fine but say I use 192,000 Khz and 24 bit, that will not work well with SDR Console.
9. Latency setting. SDR Console gives my particular SDR radio a latency setting option and so you may or may not have that but if you do, set it higher.
10. FM listening. If you listen to FM and do not have a large enough bandwidth filter selected, that will be poppy and scratchy, particularly on analog broadcast FM.
11. For anyone with an SDR Play RSP1A and perhaps other models, do not use their 3.10 API with SDR Console. You will get pops and other problems. SDR Play has since removed this and you can only get 3.09 or 3.11 both of which work fine for me.

Roberto Taberna

Unread post by Roberto Taberna »

RadioSDR1
Thank you for recommendations.
First of all, I've noticed that the clicking noise is only present when I'm listening. If I do a recording, the audio is perfect.
Then, coming to your points:

1. Wideband DSP Noise Blanker is enabled and threshold is set too low. >>> It's disabled.
2. Computer is “busy”. For instance, if I open a web browser often I’ll get a few brief pops. The more busy the more popping and glitching. >>> CPU 1%, GPU 20%
3. Anti Virus scan running in background will increase the odds of #2. >>> Always had Norton, never had this audio problem.
4. The audio AGC is off and the gain is manually set and it is too high. Look at the volume slider under the frequency. If it goes into the red too far and/or too much that might make a transient distorted pop until the gain is turned down. >>> AGC setting slow.
5. Sample rate bandwidth too high. For instance my system is generally not happy with 10 MHz. >>> Always used 2 MHz bandwidth with my Afedri SDR 3.0, never had problems.
6. Waterfall resolution is too high. For instance if I want to view 10 MHz bandwidth and reduce the waterfall resolution quite a bit, then my system will tolerate it much better. The faster your system the less this will probably matter. >>> Default resolution.
7. Waterfall speed is too high. However, on my system this doesn’t make that much difference, waterfall resolution is much more impactful. >>> 20 lines speed.
8. Soundcard settings. Take a look at those. Maybe the Windows 11 upgrade changed them. If the bit and/or sample rate is too high, this can create SDR Console artifacts. On my system 48,000 Khz and either 16 or 24 bit works fine but say I use 192,000 Khz and 24 bit, that will not work well with SDR Console. >>> 48,000 kHz 16 bit.
9. Latency setting. SDR Console gives my particular SDR radio a latency setting option and so you may or may not have that but if you do, set it higher. >>> I couldn't find the latency setting. The help on latency says that SDR Console use Microsoft WASAPI for talking to audio devices. Perhaps something changed with Win11?
10. FM listening. If you listen to FM and do not have a large enough bandwidth filter selected, that will be poppy and scratchy, particularly on analog broadcast FM. >>> Listening on LW/MW/SW, no FM.
11. For anyone with an SDR Play RSP1A and perhaps other models, do not use their 3.10 API with SDR Console. You will get pops and other problems. SDR Play has since removed this and you can only get 3.09 or 3.11 both of which work fine for me. >>> I use an Afedri SDR 3.0

So apparently, there is nothing wrong. I have just updated today Windows 11 to Version 22H2 2022-10. Clicking problem persists. Really annoying!!

Roberto

RadioSDR1

Unread post by RadioSDR1 »

Obviously EVIL Micro$oft has done something here. :) The question is what.

Now here’s a question. Actually several. First, do you have any other SDR radio? You know, maybe a cheap RTL-SDR dongle, could be anything though it has to be supported by SDR Console. My thinking here is that the results of how it behaves may be useful in narrowing down the possibilities.

Now, you run at 2 MHz bandwidth. What happens at the extremes? What if you lower the bandwidth to the minimum? Does the popping improve? If you raise it to the maximum, does it get worse? Or is it maybe a different kind of popping? Another interesting thing is to reduce the waterfall resolution to minimum /8 and then maximum x16. What happens there? Does it get better when lowered or worse when raised? The idea is to run SDR Console light vs. hard to see if it makes any difference.

Another thing might be drivers like for USB ports and other things. What you might try is going to the website of your computer manufacturer and install all the drivers for your particular PC/laptop model for Windows 11. Now there may be nothing to update (yet) or maybe Microsoft already gave them to you during the upgrade but it is something to try.

Another thing to try would be Windows safe mode. Now I don’t know if there is any change to this in Windows 11 or if something SDR Console depends on won’t run in safe mode but if SDR Console does run and the problem goes away, then that suggests something is running in normal mode that is making something mad.

Another thing to try is to start SDR Console, note the time it started, run it for a minute and then check the Windows Event Viewer for that time and see if there are any warnings or errors that might yield a clue. There might also be some logging in SDR Console too but others out here on the forum would know more about that so perhaps they’ll chime in if it’s a possibility.

One way or the other, this should be fixable.

jdow

Unread post by jdow »

One thing that might help is to go looking at your power settings. It seems Microsoft has gone out of its way to force you to be "green." It modifies power settings to save energy. You may have to go deep into the power settings to force it back to full performance. It's a pain in the arse. It is another nail in the Windows 11 coffin as far as I am concerned. Windows 10 forever - if I can't have Windows 7 or even XP. (Using real time priority without clumsy UAC interactions on a real time type program ended with XP to 7 leaving boatloads of pain in its wake for me.)

Windows is really good except for the few arbitrary utter mis-features it has.

{^_^}

Max

Unread post by Max »

I would most definitely make sure you have the correct soundcard/sound chipset driver installed for the manufacturer of the PC or the sound card. I've had oddities many times after a fresh Windows install, because it usually installs just the default MS driver for various bits of hardware, but quite often they exhibit strange quirks if the hardware manufacturer's correct driver is not used.

So for me, I would check the soundcard driver is correct, comes from the hardware manufacturer (soundcard or laptop/PC brand) and is the latest issue.

Max

lareooreal

Unread post by lareooreal »

I had a similar issue. My workaround on windows 11 with ASIO sound was to feed the sound into a virtual device from Voicemeter Banana. Within voicemeter banana then forwarding the virtual channel to a real sound oput put. Even though this seems to occupy more steps, the clicking was gone!

However I suffer still from sound issues in Stereo mode (see other issue post). Setting the sound to mono helped but with this I see that the seound decoding needs some overhaul.

lareo