Obscure bug in SDR Console when used with SDR Play RSP1A

All bug reports here please
RadioSDR1

Obscure bug in SDR Console when used with SDR Play RSP1A

Unread post by RadioSDR1 »

To recreate the bug for RSP1A users (and possibly other radios where there is a latency setting option), do the following:

1. Start SDR Console and change bandwidth to anywhere between 6 MHz and 10 MHz.
2. Change latency to “Highest” (in Radio Configuration/Various).
3. Change bandwidth to 4 MHz or any lower option.
4. Observe there is no audio and that the spectrum and waterfall is stopped/frozen. But SDR Console has not crashed. It’s just not playing anything.
5. Change bandwidth to 6 MHz or any higher option.
6. Observe normal operation of SDR Console.
7. Change bandwidth back to 4 MHz or any lower option and observe conditions from #4 returned.
8. Change latency to anywhere between “Low” to “High”.
9. Do a simple Stop and Start of SDR Console.
10. Observe normal operation of SDR Console on bandwidth settings of 4 MHz and below.
NOTE: If you change to “Higher” from “Highest”, you may or may not get some initial stuttering for several seconds. However, if you change to “High” or any lower option, then this will never happen.

Additional comments:

I first noticed this behavior occurring very rarely since I first starting using SDR Console several months ago with RSP1A. Today it happened again and I was determined to figure it out.

Please note that uninstalling and reinstalling SDR Console does not fix this. However, if the registry was deleted (HKCU\SOFTWARE\SDR-RADIO.com (V3) and then SDR Console reinstalled, then it worked again. But then all your settings are wiped out. And if you only delete the registry, it is actually not necessary to uninstall and reinstall SDR Console because a default version of the registry will populate (but again, without your settings).

Today, I narrowed it down to the exact registry entry which is HKCU\SOFTWARE\SDR-RADIO.com (V3)\SDRplayV3\ Latency-RSP1A-xxxxxxxxxx. If this one key is deleted, it will also fix the problem. I presume for convenience of retaining settings should the software need to be removed and reinstalled, the SDR Console registry settings are retained after uninstall. However, with this particular problem, it would probably be helpful if this particular key was deleted during uninstall. Because if someone has this problem, they will likely and eventually try to uninstall and reinstall the software because SDR Console will no longer work below 6 MHz. Unless they know to blow out the registry, they may think their radio is broken after reinstalling the software fails.