CPU bound at startup

All bug reports here please
jpsa

CPU bound at startup

Unread post by jpsa »

Weird one this...

If I start SDRC with the AGC panel visible, then the splash screen stays up indefinitely while the task sits burning CPU (see screenshot). Note, the radio (an SDRplay RSP2) has not been started. The splash screen does go away when I click on the SDRC window, but SDRC remains rather unresponsive with a variety of symptoms (e.g. radio starts playing when started, but the waterfall doesn't appear).

If I start SDRC without the AGC panel, then it starts normally, and continues to function normally even if the AGC panel is then turned on.

Any ideas? I'm quite prepared to believe this is something to do with my system, but I'm not aware of having changed anything other than installing system updates recently.

SDR Console version 3.2 build 2731
Microsoft Windows 10 Pro 10.0.19045

Cheers,
John
Attachments
sdrc2.png

Max

Re: CPU bound at startup

Unread post by Max »

jpsa wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 7:19 pm If I start SDRC with the AGC panel visible, then the splash screen stays up indefinitely while the task sits burning CPU (see screenshot).

Cheers,
John
As nobody else has replied, I strongly suggest you download and install (over the top of your current install - no uninstall necessary) the latest beta. The beta published on the website has in fact been tested for many weeks by the Test Team so it's usually as stable as the "Release" version. This often clears up issues like this.

https://www.sdr-radio.com/download#Beta

That is the first step. Try it then report back good news or no change. just for the record I must have done this now hundreds of times as part of test team (i.e. install over top of current version), sometime several times a day, and I've never once had a critical issue so I would regard it as close to risk-free.

Max

jpsa

Unread post by jpsa »

Max wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 11:52 am As nobody else has replied, I strongly suggest you download and install (over the top of your current install - no uninstall necessary) the latest beta.
:
Try it then report back good news or no change.
Thank you for the suggestion. I've just done that (v3.3 Build 2949), but sadly see no change.

(I'm now going to be offline for a couple of weeks, but I'll come back here as soon as I can after that).

John
Attachments
sdrc3.png

jpsa

Unread post by jpsa »

jpsa wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 8:57 pm (I'm now going to be offline for a couple of weeks, but I'll come back here as soon as I can after that).
Back now. Updated to v3.3 build 2993 (7 Jun), no change. Still shows the splash screen and burns CPU indefinitely (well, at least five minutes) if started with the AGC panel showing.

John

Max

Unread post by Max »

jpsa wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 2:34 pm
jpsa wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 8:57 pm Updated to v3.3 build 2993 (7 Jun), no change. Still shows the splash screen and burns CPU indefinitely (well, at least five minutes) if started with the AGC panel showing.

John
Forgot to mention before. Disable all anti-virus software then try starting again. Long start-ups can often be tracked to anti-virus taking inordinate amount of time to wade through all the dlls on some systems. Not sure why but it's been a reason before when this has cropped up. At least that could (or may not) explain the source of the issue. Then it's a question of fixing it.

Max

jdow

Unread post by jdow »

You might also consider using the details pane in taskmanager. Click once (or twice) on the CPU column to sort the processes by CPU usage. That will show you what else is burning CPU. (14% is not likely to overload the computer system.) A picture of that taskmanager display may suggest what is going on. If it is an AV problem, which happens, then this will turn it up.

What are the particulars of the computer system - CPU, video card, and memory? That can make a difference, in extreme cases. What front end are you running? If not showing the AGC pane allows it to boot, please do so and show us what the main screen looks like - and mention whatever other detached screens you may have floating around on your system. The AGC module is not one known to be a huge CPU hog - or even a goldfish size CPU hog.

You may have gotten some bad data into the registry or appdata stores. We may have to get a regedit export for the "SDR-Radio (V3)" key and subkeys and a capture of "%appdata%/SDR-Radio (v3)" folder. That way if we get it working we have the originals to compare with and show Simon the values that may have caused the problem. Once you have that data backed up you can, if needed, remove that registry key and the appdata stores so SDRConsole can rebuild it. But, before that, I'd use another identity to try to get everything running. It's easier.

{^_^}

ik8xld

Unread post by ik8xld »

Same here.
Some information:
windows 10 pro 19045.2965 64bit , gtx 1050ti, 8 gb ram.
This is main session, of 5. Only main session have this problem. (Main session using many FAVORITES, can be ?)
Attachments
Cattura.JPG

Max

Unread post by Max »

jpsa wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 7:19 pm Weird one this...

If I start SDRC with the AGC panel visible, then the splash screen stays up indefinitely while the task sits burning CPU (see screenshot).

If I start SDRC without the AGC panel, then it starts normally, and continues to function normally even if the AGC panel is then turned on.

Microsoft Windows 10 Pro 10.0.19045

Cheers,
John
John. Just to clarify, when you say AGC panel, do you actually mean just the AGC panel is expanded in the RX DSP, or do you actually mean the whole RX DSP panel (the whole panel on the left containing AGC, filters, mode etc.)?

Max

jpsa

Unread post by jpsa »

Just tried disabling Windows Defender (no other AV software is installed), no difference.
Max wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 5:15 pm
jpsa wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 2:34 pm
jpsa wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 8:57 pm Updated to v3.3 build 2993 (7 Jun), no change. Still shows the splash screen and burns CPU indefinitely (well, at least five minutes) if started with the AGC panel showing.

John
Forgot to mention before. Disable all anti-virus software then try starting again. Long start-ups can often be tracked to anti-virus taking inordinate amount of time to wade through all the dlls on some systems. Not sure why but it's been a reason before when this has cropped up. At least that could (or may not) explain the source of the issue. Then it's a question of fixing it.

Max

jpsa

Unread post by jpsa »

Here's a screenshot showing Task Manager in Details mode. Only SDRC is using significant CPU.

*edit* Oops, this screenshot also caught Thunderbird doing it's occasional fetch. I promise this isn't always the case, but I'll make a new screenshot showing that if you like!
sdrc4.png
Here's a summary of my machine config...
OS Name: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro
Version: 10.0.19045 Build 19045
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3770 CPU @ 3.40GHz, 3401 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s)
Installed Physical Memory (RAM): 16.0 GB
Page File Space: 64.0 GB
There is no separate graphics card. This CPU has 8 logical processors, so 14% is approximately 1 CPU bound thread.

Here's a screenshot showing a successful start (with the AGC pane "rolled up" -- that was the only change I made) and with the radio started. I have no undocked/floating windows.

[/quote]
Screenshot-2023-06-12-224223.jpeg
jdow wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 6:18 am You might also consider using the details pane in taskmanager. Click once (or twice) on the CPU column to sort the processes by CPU usage. That will show you what else is burning CPU. (14% is not likely to overload the computer system.) A picture of that taskmanager display may suggest what is going on. If it is an AV problem, which happens, then this will turn it up.

What are the particulars of the computer system - CPU, video card, and memory? That can make a difference, in extreme cases. What front end are you running? If not showing the AGC pane allows it to boot, please do so and show us what the main screen looks like - and mention whatever other detached screens you may have floating around on your system. The AGC module is not one known to be a huge CPU hog - or even a goldfish size CPU hog.

You may have gotten some bad data into the registry or appdata stores. We may have to get a regedit export for the "SDR-Radio (V3)" key and subkeys and a capture of "%appdata%/SDR-Radio (v3)" folder. That way if we get it working we have the originals to compare with and show Simon the values that may have caused the problem. Once you have that data backed up you can, if needed, remove that registry key and the appdata stores so SDRConsole can rebuild it. But, before that, I'd use another identity to try to get everything running. It's easier.

{^_^}