Screenshot not working

All bug reports here please
WB8CJW

Screenshot not working

Unread post by WB8CJW »

I receive an error after taking a screenshot when I select Open or Open with.... A message popup indicates: "Windows cannot find 'C:\Users\PC\Pictures\SDR-RADIO.com (V3)\Screenshot-2021-02-09-001234.jpeg' Make sure you typed the name correctly, and then try again." No file is created/saved to the "C:\Users\PC\Pictures\SDR-RADIO.com (V3)" folder. If I select Show in folder the message box just disappears.

When I upgraded to v3.0.26 (from .25), 64-bit I used a utility to completely remove all files and registry entries since the new installation still had the screenshot problem when installed. I used a fresh download and tried again but still didn't work. This is really puzzling. The folder (C:\Users\PC\Pictures\SDR-RADIO.com (V3)\) is empty and a search across the whole drive didn't show SDRC actually saved a picture anywhere.

Using SDRplay RSPdx, Microsoft Windows 10 Pro [Version 10.0.19041.746] and have had this problem since September last year.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Dale WB8CJW
Attachments
Error processing screen capture_3.png
Error processing screen capture_3.png (5.4 KiB) Viewed 806 times
Error processing screen capture_2.png
Error processing screen capture_1.png

jdow

Re: Screenshot not working

Unread post by jdow »

Is "PC" your username when you login or is there a user PC on that computer?

So you can open a folder named "C:\Users\PC\Pictures\SDR-RADIO.com (V3)\", is that correct? Can you create a file in that folder? The folder should be in "C:\Users\(your username)\Pictures". That is why I ask if your username is PC. And if something screwed up file permissions so that you cannot write to "C:\Users\PC\Pictures\SDR-RADIO.com (V3)\" then you've found your problem. I'm afraid a complete reinstall may be needed. As a test bring up the paint program, scribble a line or two, and click save. Note what directory it suggests. Then try to save the picture there. If the suggested folder was not the ""C:\Users\PC\Pictures\" folder or a subfolder if it, try to save the picture there, too.

"When I upgraded to v3.0.26 (from .25), 64-bit I used a utility to completely remove all files and registry entries since the new installation still had the screenshot problem when installed." What utility? Have you used it before?

If you want to completely uninstall SDRRadio running rampant on your PC with a stomp the registry program is not the smartest thing a person can do. Yes, regedit is scary. But, try it. Start SDRConsole. On the Identities screen check the "Reset" button. Pick an identity. That brings up a panel with "stuff" on it. At the top are buttons for Registry editor and for "User Files". Click both. Then close SDRConsole.

THen select the Registry editor window. Navigate to but not into "Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\SDR-RADIO.com (V3)". (The tree view skips the "obvious" "Computer" level of the path.) Single left click on "SDR_RADIO.com (V3)". Right click and select rename so if this does not work you can go back. Add an X to the end of the name. Close the registry editor. In the file folder that was opened look for "SDR_RADIO.com (V3)" and similarly rename it. (I like ways to go back with no harm done.)

Then retry SDRConsole. BUT, I really think you should not have to get into the registry editor. SDRConsole seems to me to be acting like it cannot write to that folder for some reason. At a basic level I fear your installation may be messed up a bit.

{^_^}

WB8CJW

Unread post by WB8CJW »

jdow wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 3:33 pm Is "PC" your username when you login or is there a user PC on that computer?
___During Win10 installation it wasn't clear what this name implied so I just put in the first thing that came to mind. My initials didn't work for some reason and I knew whatever I put in couldn't be changed later on from a previous install experience.

So you can open a folder named "C:\Users\PC\Pictures\SDR-RADIO.com (V3)\", is that correct? Can you create a file in that folder? The folder should be in "C:\Users\(your username)\Pictures".
___Yes, yes and that is correct. I can do r-w in this folder, the security settings look correct in Properties and SDR Console was working prior to about August last year so I believe it is

That is why I ask if your username is PC. And if something screwed up file permissions so that you cannot write to "C:\Users\PC\Pictures\SDR-RADIO.com (V3)\" then you've found your problem.
___I can paste a file to the folder, rename the file within the folder, create a sub-directory.

I'm afraid a complete reinstall may be needed. posting.php?mode=reply&f=71&t=869#As a test bring up the paint program, scribble a line or two, and click save. Note what directory it suggests. Then try to save the picture there. If the suggested folder was not the ""C:\Users\PC\Pictures\" folder or a subfolder if it, try to save the picture there, too.
___I saved the scribble to the default of Paint3D (C:\Users\PC\Pictures) and navigated to the sub-folder C:\Users\PC\Pictures\SDR-RADIO.com (V3) and saved there also. Using file explorer I opened both of the files with Irfanview. I don't believe there is anyting wrong with my system.

"When I upgraded to v3.0.26 (from .25), 64-bit I used a utility to completely remove all files and registry entries since the new installation still had the screenshot problem when installed." What utility? Have you used it before?
___IOBit Uninstaller (free version) - I have used it for years along with their Advanced System Care.

If you want to completely uninstall SDRRadio running rampant on your PC with a stomp the registry program is not the smartest thing a person can do. Yes, regedit is scary. But, try it. Start SDRConsole. On the Identities screen check the "Reset" button. Pick an identity. That brings up a panel with "stuff" on it. At the top are buttons for Registry editor and for "User Files". Click both. Then close SDRConsole.
___I used the SDRC uninstall in the start menu. Then after reinstalling and seeing no change I then used the IOBit Uninstall which also deletes registry entries and eliminates residual files left behind by the SDRC uninstaller.

THen select the Registry editor window. Navigate to but not into "Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\SDR-RADIO.com (V3)". (The tree view skips the "obvious" "Computer" level of the path.) Single left click on "SDR_RADIO.com (V3)". Right click and select rename so if this does not work you can go back. Add an X to the end of the name. Close the registry editor. In the file folder that was opened look for "SDR_RADIO.com (V3)" and similarly rename it. (I like ways to go back with no harm done.)

Then retry SDRConsole. BUT, I really think you should not have to get into the registry editor. SDRConsole seems to me to be acting like it cannot write to that folder for some reason.
___Yes. For some reason it is not writing the file. No error is thrown indicating a problem. I believe there is a configuration file somewhere, My Documents? or elsewhere that has become scrambled. I am going to take a look at the .dll with Resource Hacker and Dependency Walker and see what I can learn.

At a basic level I fear your installation may be messed up a bit.
___Yep, no one else has reported any capture problems and I have PicPick, IrfanView and XnView in the arsenol.

{^_^}

___Thanks for the help Joanne. Worse case I'll just have to continue ignoring the capture function. Dale

jdow

Unread post by jdow »

That asks another question, where the (insert choice sailor language here) did the file go? It's not in Pictures itself, I presume. And I presume Pictures\SDRRadio.com (V3) is empty so the file could not be hiding on you. Let's see, you were allowed to rename SDRRadio.com (V3) to SDRRadio.com (V3)X. Let's try something else. Create a copy of that folder and delete the original. If the system does not let you there may be something in there you cannot see.

That brings up another detail. Enable showing file types so Foo.com.killme.bat does not display as Foo.com.killme. Enable showing hidden files. Enable showing system files. Don't hide specific items. I doubt that will uncover something lurking there or not. Searching Pictures for screenshot* MIGHT be illuminating. Then get adventurous and type "%AppData%\SDR-RADIO.com (V3)" into the file location show at the top of a folder window. Hit enter. Then search in there for "screen*". Who knows, it might have encountered a problem and picked that as an alternative?

(I am starting to wonder of there is some magic in the name "PC" that glitches Windows or SDRC.)
{^_^}

Barry WB2ZXJ

Unread post by Barry WB2ZXJ »

Hi Dale,

Have you tried renaming your PC?

Barry
WB2ZXJ
Attachments
Rename.JPG

Simon G4ELI

Unread post by Simon G4ELI »

WB8CJW wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 6:14 amWhen I upgraded to v3.0.26 (from .25), 64-bit I used a utility to completely remove all files and registry entries since the new installation still had the screenshot problem when installed.
Never, ever screw with the registry. never. Not even once.
Simon Brown :shock:
www.sdr-radio.com

Do not send me direct e-mail, thank-you!

jdow

Unread post by jdow »

Barry, the name that MAY be giving a problem is the username he entered during installation. That CAN be changed. It can be ugly if you have encrypted anything on the machine. It is done though the user management. You have to dig but it is there.

{^_^}

Barry WB2ZXJ

Unread post by Barry WB2ZXJ »

Oops -- I read PC as machine name not username.

Doh! Please ignore.

Barry
WB2ZXJ

WB8CJW

Unread post by WB8CJW »

jdow wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 1:24 pm That asks another question, where the (insert choice sailor language here) did the file go? It's not in Pictures itself, I presume. And I presume Pictures\SDRRadio.com (V3) is empty so the file could not be hiding on you. Let's see, you were allowed to rename SDRRadio.com (V3) to SDRRadio.com (V3)X. Let's try something else. Create a copy of that folder and delete the original. If the system does not let you there may be something in there you cannot see.
___I have deleted the folder several times. It is recreated during the installation. Remember this configuration did work at one time.
I searched the whole drive for 'Screenshot-*' - nothing. Also searched by date for anything that contains "2021-02-10" - nothing. Either the image file was not produced or an error without a notification occured - the process was simply aborted. A Windows message says "The operation was canceled by the user." That is not true...that message came along after the 'Windows cannot find ..\Screenshot xxxx.jpeg.' Then "Make sure you typed the name correctly, and then try again." There was no typing of the name involved and I didn't cancel anything. This is apparently a call to a Windows function that has a standard error message. This made me think there really may be a system problem so I did a SFC System Files Check and DISM with no errors found.
___Image 1 through 3.png shows the sequence of message boxes that pop up. Image 5 shows the alternate method of navigating to the screenshots directory. Tools >Files >Screenshots. Then Image 7 shows the empty 'C:\Users\PC\Pictures\SDR-RADIO.com (V3)' folder. (I discarded Image 4 and 6.)

That brings up another detail. Enable showing file types so Foo.com.killme.bat does not display as Foo.com.killme. Enable showing hidden files. Enable showing system files. Don't hide specific items. I doubt that will uncover something lurking there or not. Searching Pictures for screenshot* MIGHT be illuminating. Then get adventurous and type "%AppData%\SDR-RADIO.com (V3)" into the file location show at the top of a folder window. Hit enter. Then search in there for "screen*". Who knows, it might have encountered a problem and picked that as an alternative?
___The Folder Options screen capture shows what Explorer normally displays for me.

(I am starting to wonder of there is some magic in the name "PC" that glitches Windows or SDRC.)
___It had worked a few months ago but I've pretty much exhausted everything I can think of to try plus in the process irritated Simon which I certainly don't want to do.
{^_^}
Attachments
sfc.png
sfc.png (8.59 KiB) Viewed 661 times
DISM.png
Image 8.png
Image 7.png
Image 5.png

jdow

Unread post by jdow »

Fascinating, my About page does not have any lines below "Read the Microsoft Software License Terms". Are you using BitLocker? I wonder if THAT could be interacting with something.

And a thought just cross my mind. I wonder if an AV tool designed to block screen scraping is installed. That could do it. Some banks offer or at least offered at one time a utililty like that from Trusteer named Rapport or something like that.

{^_^}