Dangerous Pluto transmit bug found

All bug reports here please
ROY-VE7DH

Dangerous Pluto transmit bug found

Unread post by ROY-VE7DH »

Hello Simon,

I installed the latest version of Satsagen, the spectrum analyzer software for my Pluto and found that when adjusting the span setting that the Pluto would go into transmit for a moment with every change of the span setting.

I queried Alberto, the developer, and he suggested that the new libiio was the culprit.

It occurred to me to check SDRConsole (3.0.26) and found that as soon as I started Console the Pluto would momentarily go into full power transmit. The only reason I could tell was that I have USB relays driving external amplifiers and the clicking alerted me to the transmit action.

I know this was not occurring in previous versions of Console (or Satsagen).

Luckily there is nothing adverse that can happen with my setup, but I can foresee potential problems for others from this unexpected transmit behaviour.

thanks, Roy

ROY-VE7DH

Re: Dangerous Pluto transmit bug found

Unread post by ROY-VE7DH »

I forgot to mention that the transmit pulse also occurs when changing the bandwidth setting in Console. Another clue for our skilled and nimble developer.

regards, Roy

PD3LK

Unread post by PD3LK »

Yesterday Alberto answered you: "Maybe tomorrow I'll post the fix"....

Can the following be the reason for your issue with SDR-Console?
(as you said by yourself, you had no issue's before)

The prerequisites of the application are:

Drivers for ADALM-PLUTO installed: PlutoSDR-M2k-USB-Drivers
ADALM-PLUTO device with firmware > = 0.31

WARNING: At the first start, the application will perform on the device the frequency and bandwidth extension needed for the use of the 70MHZ-6000MHZ range, forcing the firmware to “see” the AD9363 transceiver as an AD9364. The extension is required for the application to work, but if you don’t want it to happen, don’t start SATSAGEN.

pauldbnut

Unread post by pauldbnut »

Don't know if it's the Pluto, or Simon's mega VHF beam pointing in the wrong direction.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cornwall-56286719.
Paul White (Grumpy Old Git)