CPU bound at startup

All bug reports here please
jpsa

Re: CPU bound at startup

Unread post by jpsa »

I mean that the panel titled "AGC: Slow" is "unrolled" in the column of controls on the left. See the two screenshots in the reply I sent to jdow.
Max wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 10:00 pm
jpsa wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 7:19 pm Weird one this...

If I start SDRC with the AGC panel visible, then the splash screen stays up indefinitely while the task sits burning CPU (see screenshot).

If I start SDRC without the AGC panel, then it starts normally, and continues to function normally even if the AGC panel is then turned on.

SDR Console version 3.2 build 2731
Microsoft Windows 10 Pro 10.0.19045

Cheers,
John
John. Just to clarify, when you say AGC panel, do you actually mean just the AGC panel is expanded in the RX DSP, or do you actually mean the whole RX DSP panel (the whole panel on the left containing AGC, filters, mode etc.)?

Max

jpsa

Unread post by jpsa »

Thanks, everyone, for trying to help!

I have a bit more information... the problem seems to be very specific to which panes are unrolled. I haven't tried all possible combinations, but the configuration which shows the problem for me is

IF Display: Collapsed
Mode: Expanded
Filter: Expanded
AGC: Expanded
CW: Collapsed
Noise Blanker: Collapsed
Noise Reduction: Collapsed
Notch: Collapsed

Collapsing any of "Mode", "Filter" or "AGC" or expanding "IF Display" results in a normal startup!

Max

Unread post by Max »

jpsa wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 10:15 pm Thanks, everyone, for trying to help!

I have a bit more information... the problem seems to be very specific to which panes are unrolled. I haven't tried all possible combinations, but the configuration which shows the problem for me is

IF Display: Collapsed
Mode: Expanded
Filter: Expanded
AGC: Expanded
CW: Collapsed
Noise Blanker: Collapsed
Noise Reduction: Collapsed
Notch: Collapsed

Collapsing any of "Mode", "Filter" or "AGC" or expanding "IF Display" results in a normal startup!
I've tried emulating every setting as you have it on your screen but no dice. I get a perfect startup every time.

HOWEVER there is one thing I finally noticed that seems somewhat odd in your info. Your display says you are running RSP2 SDR but bottom left of screen it says you have sample rate set to 2048 kHz.

That struck me as very odd because when I run my RSP2, 2048 is not a sampling bandwidth option. I only get this when I run my RTL-SDR. So I am wondering, are you 100% certain that you are running a genuine RSP2? I know there has been a lot of trouble with fake SDR-Play receivers hitting the market? So it just set me wondering if this is a hardware oddity caused by some conflict in the firmware in the SDR?

Also your toolbar for the radio features of the RSP looks significantly different to mine (see mine attached). That could be me I guess perhaps not updating to latest API (if that can affect it) as I don't bother with my RSP2 anymore. But I was not aware of that part of the Home tab changing? Maybe it has somehow? Are you running SDR-Play API 3.0 as recommended by Simon? Maybe remove the radio, install API 3.0 and re-add radio if not?

https://www.sdr-radio.com/sdrplay

Anyway, at the moment that's the best I've got. I think to get any further you need Simon on board to analyse the log file etc.

Max
Attachments
RSP2.jpg

jpsa

Unread post by jpsa »

Max wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 11:15 pm Also your toolbar for the radio features of the RSP looks significantly different to mine (see mine attached) ... Are you running SDR-Play API 3.0 as recommended by Simon? Maybe remove the radio, install API 3.0 and re-add radio if not?
Good spot... yes, I was running API V2. I've switched to V3, and my toolbar now looks like yours, but sadly this hasn't fixed the startup problem :(

With the AGC pane showing, the splash screen was still showing after SDRC had burned 5 minutes of CPU
v3bad.png
With the AGC pane hidden, startup happened quickly (and the V3 API sdrplay_apiService.exe process is using a little CPU as, presumably, expected)
v3good.png

Max

Unread post by Max »

jpsa wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2023 4:35 pm With the AGC pane showing, the splash screen was still showing after SDRC had burned 5 minutes of CPU

With the AGC pane hidden, startup happened quickly (and the V3 API sdrplay_apiService.exe process is using a little CPU as, presumably, expected)
OK John. I don't think any further progress can be made without Simon's diagnosis. Simon?

I'm not sure if you said you did this, but if it were me (and Simon does not manage to find time to interject) the other thing I would try is a total removal and reinstall of SDRC as per Simon's instructions here:

https://www.sdr-radio.com/reset

Maybe you already did this?

But if Simon could take a look you may not need to. Sorry, I've run out of ideas! Good luck with it anyway.

Max

jdow

Unread post by jdow »

I'd also try to figure out if it is a display driver difficulty. That might be exposed by simply moving SDRC slightly to a different place on the screen. That is an extreme long shot but....

Also DO set the sample rate to something legal for the RSP2. That off standard value might have the system confused leading to an error in the AGC calculations on the incoming data stream.

(And for rtlsdr in theory 2.4 Msps is the best value to use. You get a slight dynamic range increase from a little more averaging on the narrow band signals. I say in theory because actually seeing it and measuring it would be "difficult" without fancy instruments. They also do not perform well at all when used at HF. They work, sort of. But my first radio, an Hallicrafters S-38B, did better.)

{^_^}

jpsa

Unread post by jpsa »

Thanks for the suggestions!
jdow wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2023 9:29 am Also DO set the sample rate to something legal for the RSP2. That off standard value might have the system confused leading to an error in the AGC calculations on the incoming data stream.
2.048 MHz used to be a legal value in the SDRPlay V2 driver I had been using. But I've now updated to the V3 driver at Max's suggestion, and set the bandwidth to 2.000 MHz, and it made no difference.
jdow wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2023 9:29 am I'd also try to figure out if it is a display driver difficulty. That might be exposed by simply moving SDRC slightly to a different place on the screen. That is an extreme long shot but....
Ah... you're on to something now. I usually have SDRC maximised, so it starts full screen. If I reduce it's size a little (though still leaving some of the AGC panel visible), without changing anything else, and then restart it it starts up cleanly. Compare stuck splash screen...
a.png
with normal startup...
b.png

jdow

Unread post by jdow »

This is very important Please export your registry and make a copy of your %appdata% settings for "SDR-Radio.com (V3)" so Simon can look at them. The registry is likely the most important. Make sure it still locks up at full screen then export the registry entry. (There is a menu icon for registry access. Highlight the "SDR-Radio.com (V3)" settings, right click, select export. Give it a name and hit save.

Additionally it MIGHT be useful for finding where the code goes wonkity use task manager to find the SDRConsole entry, right click on it, and select "create dump file."

{^_^}

jpsa

Unread post by jpsa »

jdow wrote: Sat Jun 17, 2023 7:39 am This is very important Please export your registry and make a copy of your %appdata% settings for "SDR-Radio.com (V3)" so Simon can look at them. The registry is likely the most important. Make sure it still locks up at full screen then export the registry entry. (There is a menu icon for registry access. Highlight the "SDR-Radio.com (V3)" settings, right click, select export. Give it a name and hit save.

Additionally it MIGHT be useful for finding where the code goes wonkity use task manager to find the SDRConsole entry, right click on it, and select "create dump file."

{^_^}
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/amn5izhvqwvc ... qJkca?dl=0

PD3LK

Unread post by PD3LK »

My cuts tell's me that you don't have enough memory assigned to your onboard graphics processor.
How many did you assign? (BIOS setting). 64Mb should be ok but see what happens when you add more.
r/Leon