Waterfall differences between 3.2 and 3.3 console version using RTL-SDR Dongle

All bug reports here please
ik8xld

Waterfall differences between 3.2 and 3.3 console version using RTL-SDR Dongle

Unread post by ik8xld »

Hi Simon,
there are some waterfall differences between sdrconsole 3.2 and 3.3 version, viewing the same signal, using an RTL-SDR V3 dongle on USB, at 250 & 300 kHz bandwidth.
Some screen shots, with the same configurations

73 Rocco IK8XLD
Attachments
3.3 _hf.png
3.3 _hf.png (765.57 KiB) Viewed 3331 times
3.2 _hf.png
3.2 _hf.png (836.81 KiB) Viewed 3331 times
3.2.png
3.2.png (856.55 KiB) Viewed 3331 times
3.3.png
3.3.png (855.91 KiB) Viewed 3331 times

jdow

Re: Waterfall differences between 3.2 and 3.3 console version using RTL-SDR Dongle

Unread post by jdow »

I note that you have different settings for the FFT. Your line rates and other settings (lower right of waterfall area) show the different settings. Fiddle with them to get them the same if possible and see what happens. It looks like with 3.3 you've picked up some problems. Let's try to make all the settings as close to the same as possible. Take notes so that if some settings make the problem worse or better it will show in the data possibly leading Simon right to the problem.

I note that the GPU usage is different between 3.2 and 3.3 with 10 GHz being perhaps rather extreme.

I. rashly perhaps, presume there are no other demands on the USB bus, particularly very large demands. The noisy data looks very much like dropped data packets. Does the audio sound clean?

{^_^}

Simon G4ELI

Re: Waterfall differences between 3.2 and 3.3 console version using RTL-SDR Dongle

Unread post by Simon G4ELI »

ik8xld wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 6:47 pm Hi Simon,
there are some waterfall differences between sdrconsole 3.2 and 3.3 version, viewing the same signal, using an RTL-SDR V3 dongle on USB, at 250 & 300 kHz bandwidth.

73 Rocco IK8XLD
Hi,

Look at the Radio Configuration, show me the screens. Clearly something has changed, I suspect it's a setting here.
Simon Brown :shock:
www.sdr-radio.com

Do not send me direct e-mail, thank-you!

ik8xld

Unread post by ik8xld »

jdow wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 11:23 pm I note that you have different settings for the FFT. Your line rates and other settings (lower right of waterfall area) show the different settings. Fiddle with them to get them the same if possible and see what happens. It looks like with 3.3 you've picked up some problems. Let's try to make all the settings as close to the same as possible. Take notes so that if some settings make the problem worse or better it will show in the data possibly leading Simon right to the problem.

I note that the GPU usage is different between 3.2 and 3.3 with 10 GHz being perhaps rather extreme.

I. rashly perhaps, presume there are no other demands on the USB bus, particularly very large demands. The noisy data looks very much like dropped data packets. Does the audio sound clean?

{^_^}
Hi jdow,
yes, there are small differences but not too much. I'll try to make them identical.
However, consider what I wrote: this problem only occurs when selecting 250 & 300 kHz bandwidth.
With other bandwidth values there are no differences in waterfall with the same span.
RTL-SDR is a very popular dongle, hope others can also check.

ik8xld

Unread post by ik8xld »

Simon G4ELI wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 6:05 am
ik8xld wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 6:47 pm Hi Simon,

73 Rocco IK8XLD
Hi,

Look at the Radio Configuration, show me the screens. Clearly something has changed, I suspect it's a setting here.
Hi Simon,
thanks for the reply, here radio configuration SS
Attachments
Cattura1.JPG
Cattura1.JPG (94.22 KiB) Viewed 3241 times
Cattu5.JPG
Cattu5.JPG (68.75 KiB) Viewed 3241 times
Cattu3.JPG
Cattu3.JPG (69.46 KiB) Viewed 3241 times
Cattu2.JPG
Cattu2.JPG (98.53 KiB) Viewed 3241 times

ik8xld

Unread post by ik8xld »

jdow wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 11:23 pm I note that you have different settings for the FFT. Your line rates and other settings (lower right of waterfall area) show the different settings. Fiddle with them to get them the same if possible and see what happens. It looks like with 3.3 you've picked up some problems. Let's try to make all the settings as close to the same as possible. Take notes so that if some settings make the problem worse or better it will show in the data possibly leading Simon right to the problem.

{^_^}
Hi jdow & Simon
other two SS with Greencube satellite signal from the TS2000 IF at 10.690 MHz .
Using only one version (3.3 with identical settings) but with two different bandwidths:
using 500 kHz bandwidth waterfall is perfect
using 250 kHz bandwidth waterfall signal is not ok.
This problem is also noticed in IQ reply and if the signal is stronger, the waterfall is even more distorted
I hope it can be useful in identifying the problem
Attachments
3.3 500 kHz.JPG
3.3 500 kHz.JPG (692.64 KiB) Viewed 3181 times
3.3 250kHz.JPG
3.3 250kHz.JPG (689.72 KiB) Viewed 3181 times

jdow

Unread post by jdow »

I hope so, too. I prodded Simon on this. I was thinking of the ribbon menu settings, The one visible to the right, next to the one you showed dropped down, is a gain setting. It seems he may have renamed something. Making those all the same MIGHT have an effect. Also check that the if filters are set the same. This is likely going to be a pain for Simon to find since nobody else has reported it, yet.

250 kHz and 500 kHz are valid values. I generally urge people to use 2.4 MHz. That gives an effective 10 dB of sample resolution. That is usually worth it.

{^_^}