External Radio IC-756P2 + RSP1A freeze and syncro issues

iz1fks

Re: External Radio IC-756P2 + RSP1A freeze and syncro issues

Unread post by iz1fks »

also with latest beta version, no improvement, external radio panadapter still unusable for many aspects

iz1fks

Unread post by iz1fks »

> 1) Are you using an IF tap or are you using the ProII's tap on the incoming RX RF stream to feed the front end dongle for SDRC?

I'm using IF tap on first IF.

> Are you always tuning using SDRC or the ProII's VFO or a third party tool like HRDeluxe?

I tried with only SDRC running without other sw.

>If something you are doing generates a negative tuning frequency, particularly within SDRC, expect it to behave rather badly.

what do you mean with "negative tuning frequency"? The IF of 756P2 is 64.5MHz (upconversion).

up-converter is used for qo-100, don't needed for IF panadapter

best regards
Phil

jdow

Unread post by jdow »

Ah yes - SDRC tuning is fixed. I think you said this works sometimes so having a sign inverted on a number entered into SDRC's setup won't be a problem. (And I am thinking out loud here.)

Last I knew SDRC will not speak with a ProII directly or through a serial port adapter. So you must have something like OmniRig running. I still don't know whether you are setting new frequencies through SDRC or through the ProII. I'd expect different sources for problems in the two cases. I suspect SDRC is setup to only work one way. That somewhat matches with your experience. Nonetheless, here are a couple observations that are ProII specific.

If tuning is from SDRC frequency change messages may come too fast for the ProII to handle. While I expect OmniRig to have a correct ProII conversion from the Kenwood commands SDRC sends I do not know for sure whether OmniRig ALWAYS waits for the ACK or NAK the ProII sends in response to received commands. If not my personal experience with ProII remote control suggests this is a source for communications loss between controller and ProII.

If tuning from the ProII then OmniRig must respond to the ProII's messages with the appropriate ACK/NAK to keep everything running properly in sync at all times. I don't recall this killing communications, though.

You are phrasing it as if everything keeps running except the spectrum display. Maybe it is (way past) time to post a picture while the spectrum is still updating that shows the full main screen for SDRC. That gives some indication of computer load in the status bar. You mentioned that reducing resolution and line rate helped a little. Perhaps reducing both to minimums might change something favorably. The computer may be under powered in some way. So the test may put that theory to rest. An under powered computer is the only thing I can think of that would freeze the spectrum but allow other parts of the program to limp on.

{o.o}