Layout Help

steelgtr

Re: Layout Help

Unread post by steelgtr »

Max wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 12:03 pm
steelgtr wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 12:10 am
I got my RSPdx today but SDR console is not seeing it? SDRuno does tho?

thx

bob
Hello Bob. Did you install the Beta of SDR Console as I suggested (3.3). I understand that there have been some recent issue detecting the RSPdx in version 3.2.

Also make sure that the RSPdx is fed ideally from a USB port on your PC, but if not, from a powered USB hub. I understand there can also be some issues from lack of power to SDR Play receivers, so needs a good supply of power to the USB input. You could also try different USB cables that might help.

However, it's most likely a software issue so definitely try the 3.3 Beta.

Max
I got it. It wasn't listed under Airplay radios but at the bottom of the search list!

thx

steelgtr

Unread post by steelgtr »

Max wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 9:14 am
steelgtr wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 1:22 am Max, I'm getting somewhere but I can't get AM OTA broadcast to play anything? Does this look right?
Depending on model or RTL-SDR Dongle you may need to try switching to Q-Branch. See below. Also try with IF AGC on.

Q-Branch.jpg

AM reception at 810kHz on RTL-SDR dongle is often very poor on many dongles. Try higher up first, SW broadcast bands around 7MHz.

Also maybe try some broadcast FM first in which case you would need to switch HF Mode off (for frequencies above about 22MHz). For FM broadcast the correct mode is BC-FM, not WFM.

If you really want to do AM lower frequency reception then please consider at least the RTL-SDR Blog V4 dongle. It is far superior for those frequencies than most "off the shelf" dongles:

https://www.rtl-sdr.com/buy-rtl-sdr-dvb-t-dongles/

If you do buy one of these then only buy from this official store. There are many fakes out there!

Good luck.

Max
Do you think the V4 can do AM better than the RSPdx?

bob

Max

Unread post by Max »

steelgtr wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 4:20 pm
Do you think the V4 can do AM better than the RSPdx?

bob
No Bob. The RTL SDR is entry level. I was simply making the point, given that you already had a RTL-SDR that the RTL-SDR Blog V4 represented superb value for money at just $30 and a decent step-up from the generic RTL SDR that you had there. The AM performance (by which I really mean MF/HF) will be far superior to an un-modded generic RTL-SDR dongle.

However, the RSPdx will be another significant step up from any model of the RTL-SDR, so you have a nice radio there for sure. Regarding the LF/MF/HF performance of the RSPdx, IMO and also experience of other SDR Play products, I have found that the HF+ Discovery is a better receiver if LF/MF/HF listening is your major interest. Where the HF+ Discovery falls down is (a) limited sampling bandwidth and (b) restricted coverage of VHF/UHF. If you ever think you will have interest VHF or UHF, then the RSPdx is not a bad "all round" choice and definitely superior to any flavour of RTL-SDR, even the V4.

I would not worry, you will be very happy with the RSPdx once you have it running OK.

Best

Max