Baud rate limit of 9600 for CAT sync with TS-570DG

SFortin

Baud rate limit of 9600 for CAT sync with TS-570DG

Unread post by SFortin »

Hey everyone,
First time poster. Enjoying the many features of SDRConsole!

I'm questioning why use of SDRConsole required me to lower my baud rate to 9600 when connecting the program to a TS-570DG via Omni-Rig.

Other programs I have have no issue with the TS-570DG configured for 38400, N, 1.
I'm sure it's not related to the fact that I seem to need to use the Kenwood .INI file for Omni-Rig. Is there one for the TS-570 model?
I don't think it's an Omni-Rig V1.2 issue because SDRUno has no problems with 38400 baud.

The serial interface between PC and the radio is a straight-thru DB9 cable, not a USB serial port emulator.

Is it possible I might use some alternate COM middle-ware besides Omni-Rig, say VSE or similar?
Thanks and regards,
Sam

jdow

Re: Baud rate limit of 9600 for CAT sync with TS-570DG

Unread post by jdow »

That would be an OmniRig issue. It MAY be that it has not been told to send a code to change the data rate or your radio is set to a default low rate. It may be a quirk of OmniRig. I believe the Kenwood protocols are all basically text. So a simple serial port tool like Putty might allow you to diagnose what is happening. I would check what OmniRig documentation you can find for further help.

{^_^}

Max

Re: Baud rate limit of 9600 for CAT sync with TS-570DG

Unread post by Max »

Hi Sam. Afraid it's me again (Max). I assume you already tried raising the baud rate one step at a time on both the radio settings and Omnirig? I don't believe it's likely to be an issue with Omnirig. I have used it with other software that needs it at higher rates (not an external rig admittedly). However, I did read during "Googling" that the TS-570 does often seem to have issues with CAT coms as we saw. I doubt if there is anything in the Omnirig 570 specific ini file that's any different to the Kenwood file but it's certainly possible. Can I suggest you email Alex (Omnirig author) as he says in the Omnirig description that TS-570 is supported. I belive the 570 ini file was at one time included but now it's not for some reason. I expect he can explain why it was removed? His email address is top right of this page:

https://www.dxatlas.com/OmniRig/

I am sure if he has it in archive that he will be able to supply the TS-570 ini file or failing that he will be able to say which other rig is fully identical. At least that would eliminate one more part of the mystery.

But as I say, sadly for you it seems the TS-570 has a reputation for being a bit fussy to interface with CAT. One question. Is there actually any need to increase the rate above 9600 for control of SDRC?

Max