CW Mode "CW Tune function"

🙋 If you want a new feature or a change to the software then add your request here.

If it's not here then it's not going to happen.
SFortin

CW Mode "CW Tune function"

Unread post by SFortin »

When CW mode active, a means to park the peak of the CW signal in the middle of the filter window, like many HF transceiver's can do. I think it's essentially a search for peak signal strength +/- from the current VFO.

Also the ability to choose CW mode side-tone. Therefore when using the CW Tune enhancement, it would tune the VFO such that the signal and/or filter selected is placed symmetrically around the side-tone in the filter passband.

jdow

Re: CW Mode "CW Tune function"

Unread post by jdow »

And if the filter is essentially flat? SDR's can do things analog radios cannot.

That said there is a possibly conflicting request that the tune frequency be made on the frequency to which the receiver is tuned with no CW offset on it so that it does not disturb ongoing QSOs as you tune up to join them. I believe Simon may be doing some work in this area before long. BUT, he has a ham radio digital TV project he's having fun with now. He's partially burned out from the LONG time getting to the current 3.3 has taken. He needs a break. Genius or not, he is human. (With the state of AIs these days that may be something people will be wondering as time goes by.)

{^_^}

Max

Unread post by Max »

SFortin wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 1:05 pm When CW mode active, a means to park the peak of the CW signal in the middle of the filter window, like many HF transceiver's can do. I think it's essentially a search for peak signal strength +/- from the current VFO.

Also the ability to choose CW mode side-tone. Therefore when using the CW Tune enhancement, it would tune the VFO such that the signal and/or filter selected is placed symmetrically around the side-tone in the filter passband.
Just to point out, you can "tune" all of your CW filters by editing them to your preferred audio frequency by making that the centre frequency of the filter. In my case all of my CW mode filters are set with 700 Hz centre frequency. It's then extremely easy (especially using keyboard cursor keys for frequency adjustment with spectrum zoomed in a little) to exactly centre the signal in the filter (using the centre cursor line) and the tone will always be the same. Goes without saying that in transceive mode, you will then also be correctly netted onto exactly the TX frequency of the station you are receiving.

If you are a big CW fan, take a look at SDC Skimmer which works with SDRC very well indeed:
https://www.lw-sdc.com/

https://sdr-radio.groups.io/g/main/topi ... /104538069

With filters set up as above, when you click on a station callsign in the Skimmer, this centres it bang on on the middle of the filter so your preferred receive tone is automatic and of course you are exactly netted onto the other station's carrier.

Regarding sidetone, what is your rig? Simon has already implemented sidetone for some rigs. My rig is Hermes Lite 2 and the built in sidetone in SDRC works very well. However, if you have a good look around the SDR forums regarding SDR software you will see reliable generation of sidetone is fraught with latency issues. Sorry to say the 100% guaranteed sidetone solution for SDRs is actually a good old sidetone generator attached to the key output. Gets around all and every sidetone latency issue. Trust me, a seemingly so simple request has been debated at great length elsewhere. CW with SDRs is a bit ore tricky than it at first seems.

If you have an SDR transceiver you might be interested in looking at this project. There's some hope it may before too long be produced at Makerfabs as a built kit:

https://github.com/softerhardware/CWKeyer

Max

SFortin

Unread post by SFortin »

jdow and Max, thank you.
CW tune is typically a receive-only function, where the transceiver is reliably hearing the sender, and the VFO is preturbed a little to center on the filter, where the filter is symmetric about the sidetone chosen.
Never heard of it used for TX.
Anyway, let me see if I can figure out how to put the center of my filter at 800Hz, which is my preferred sidetone. I'm using a RSPdx to process the signal being sent from my transceiver.
Yeah, I'd like the CW Tune on the transceiver to center the SDRConsole filter, and center on SDRC changing the VFO on the transceiver (a TS-570DG with an IF-tap).
I am certainly planning to install CW Skimmer!
73 Sam

Max

Unread post by Max »

SFortin wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 5:36 pm Anyway, let me see if I can figure out how to put the center of my filter at 800Hz, which is my preferred sidetone. I'm using a RSPdx to process the signal being sent from my transceiver.
73 Sam
Samuel, see the attached picture for how to set centre frequency of CW filters to your preferred tone frequency. As you can see mine is 700Hz.

Max
Attachments
CW-Filters.gif
CW-Filters.gif (204.41 KiB) Viewed 419 times