External Radio tracking issue

General forum information, if you have a problem or question then post here. SDR-Radio.com website. If you want a new forum then ask here.
gfmucci

Re: External Radio tracking issue

Unread post by gfmucci »

My excuse for the faff is to:

1) See what works
2) Give me choice of operating levels: 1) Basic quickie, 2) a bit more serious-explore more of SDR Console, and 3) learn more about DX Labs.

In a few weeks I might change it up to head in a different learning/curiosity direction.

And I'm not even sure what faff means 🤔

jdow

Unread post by jdow »

It sounded like he might be trying to use one serial port multiple times. COM0COM does not support this HUB5COM.exe does and is from the same people. The support is (obviously if you think about it) limited. But as it turns out the CIV protocol is built around this sort of multiple devices talking on the same wire, each with different addresses.

{^_^}

Max

Unread post by Max »

gfmucci wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 11:58 pm My excuse for the faff is to:

1) See what works
2) Give me choice of operating levels: 1) Basic quickie, 2) a bit more serious-explore more of SDR Console, and 3) learn more about DX Labs.

In a few weeks I might change it up to head in a different learning/curiosity direction.

And I'm not even sure what faff means 🤔
Apologies, I meant to change that as I did think it could be "lost in translation" so to speak. Well used term here in the UK for a chore, i.e. to quote: "boring or unpleasant but needs to be done regularly".

Yes, understand the need for it and well done for having patience to work it out, but I think we all agree should not be necessary. I'm minded to think same a Joanne says, quite likely down to a port conflict somewhere? But as I say, I also see people with similar difficulties even when running just Omnirig, so who knows.

In terms of programs to offer multiple serial control to many devices/progams you might also look at RigSync which is part of the superb SDC suite from Yuri UT4LW. I know of at least one person on here who has used it successfully:

https://www.lw-sdc.com/

Max

gfmucci

Unread post by gfmucci »

As I was wandering back to bed after one of my numerous pit stops, I thought faff might be short for kerfuffle. It does sound mildly related and would fit the scenario.

Thanks for the Yuri suggestion. Fun seeing where things lead.