Noise on transmit audio when running SDR Console on remote computer

General forum information, if you have a problem or question then post here. SDR-Radio.com website. If you want a new forum then ask here.
KO4PRE

Noise on transmit audio when running SDR Console on remote computer

Unread post by KO4PRE »

I am trying to run SDR Console connected to Pluto on a remote machine. I am sending the audio from my local machine to the remote machine with Remote Desktop Connection. When I transmit, I get a lot of noise on the transmit audio in Console.

I am running WSJT-X on my local computer and connecting the audio to Console on the remote machine using the windows default devices on both machines. I recorded the audio in Console and with voice recorder on the remote machine. I tried to attach them to this posting but I got an error rejecting the file extensions. The Console recording has noise but the voice recorder recording is clean. When I run WSJT-X on the remote machine, there is no noise in Console.

This tells me that the remote audio is getting cleanly to the remote machine but Console is seeing noise in the signal.

I could just run WSJT-X on the remote machine but I also want to do Voice, so I would still need to send the audio over RDC. I did my testing with my Hermes-Lite because that is a known good configuration for me.

I have attached a screenshot of Console.

Any suggestions or insights would be welcomed.

Thanks,

Bruce
KO4PRE
Attachments
2024-05-17 (20).png
2024-05-17 (20).png (3.9 MiB) Viewed 483 times

Max

Re: Noise on transmit audio when running SDR Console on remote computer

Unread post by Max »

KO4PRE wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 7:37 pm I am trying to run SDR Console connected to Pluto on a remote machine. I am sending the audio from my local machine to the remote machine with Remote Desktop Connection. When I transmit, I get a lot of noise on the transmit audio in Console.

Any suggestions or insights would be welcomed.

Thanks,

Bruce
KO4PRE
The first thing I notice is you have PROC enabled on the audio input (although I see it is set to Proc level 0). This should be off for any data modes. Personally I set up the "Normal" input position for mic inputs with Proc enabled and the "Other" input for data modes using VAC.

The other main issue to check for if you get unpredictable audio in SDRC is to make sure that the sampling rate for ALL devices in the chain is set to 48kHz. The default in a lot of Windows devices is 44.1 and this often causes issues with SDRC as it uses the rate of the audio on the input to clock the chain.

I also note you have Default set as input, so check 100% that the default device is the correct one in Audio Devices. Personally I never use Default as I like to see a very clear indication from the name of the source that it is using the right source and so prefer to set it manually. Sometimes Windows Default sources get changed in the background and you are then not sending what you think. You say you recorded the audio, but it's just possible without knowing for sure, that you recorded two different chains without realising? Not saying you did, just saying it's possible. Windows audio system is not the most ergonomically great!

I know you mention it, but I think as you are using Remote Desktop that running WSJT-X on the remote PC is far preferable to running it locally than trying to send the audio frmo the local machine (for the Data mode I mean). For one reason the timing of data modes is critical so you want to eliminate as much latency/delay as possible, not to mention audio packet re-shuffling etc. etc. I would not think the audio chain via Remote Desktop is immune from these issues. I don't think it's a system designed for top audio timing performance especially where data modes are concerned. Obviously for Mic modes it should work I guess.

You also don't say how far away your remote machine is i.e. is it running on local network or over the web?

If ever you have trouble with attachments it's worth trying to just refresh the page as this sometimes helps. Or it may be the files were too large? In which case (as you seem to be a Google user) upload the file to Google Drive then create a "Share" on the file (set to "Anyone with the Link" to include non-Google account holders) and post the Share link on here instead of the actual file. This also saves clogging up the forum disk with large files. Obviously the drawback is if you delete that file from Drive then future viewers don't get the benefit.

Max

KO4PRE

Unread post by KO4PRE »

Hello Max,

Thank you for the information. You are correct, the problem was the RDC audio. I installed Sound for Remote Desktop and the transmit audio is now working.

Thanks for your help.

Bruce
KO4PRE

Max

Unread post by Max »

KO4PRE wrote: Wed May 29, 2024 12:13 am Hello Max,

Thank you for the information. You are correct, the problem was the RDC audio. I installed Sound for Remote Desktop and the transmit audio is now working.

Thanks for your help.

Bruce
KO4PRE
Hi Bruce. Had a look at that and it seems quite an expensive option! Anyway, it's working so that's good. Glad you found a way that works for you.

Max