Waterfall speed allow 12 hours for noise detection?

gary5721

Waterfall speed allow 12 hours for noise detection?

Unread post by gary5721 »

I have an RSP1A which I've used with SDRuno. I'm needing to run the WF for as much as 12 hours, either a coarse increment (which is fine as I'm looking to see if the noise level changes) or the ability to scroll back in time ... can Console do this?

Also Uno's WF is very poor, or at least I've not found a way around this, in displaying the WF re changes in level. I can change the signal level by 27 db - which on my Anan8000/PowerSDR shows like night and day - literally - on Uno you barely notice a change. Is Console set up to better handle WF allowing for setting the total range min/max?

I have severe noise coming from my house - 3 different antennas on 3 different towers and 3 different angles to the house all triangulate to OVER the house re this noise. It is very broadband - covers 12M up through 6M. And unfortunately shutting down the whole house (or at least the breakers) doesn't make it go away. SOMETHING is still powered and I need to find it. So far I've not had any luck in doing so.

thanks for your time - whomever replies.

Gary
K9RX

PD3LK

Re: Waterfall speed allow 12 hours for noise detection?

Unread post by PD3LK »

Hi, as you noticed in SDRuno, the gain setting of a SDRplay is terrible and not stable. The frontends are just to sensitive for nearby strong signals, that's also the case in SDRC but when you set AGC to Off then it behaves a bit better. Nice receiver for VHF and higher but i prefer my 7k too for HF.

As for recording... not exactly what you want - because the RSP is limited to 10 Mhz BW - but the thing that comes closest is the Data recording scheduler. To be found under tab Rec/Playback. In the example pict i made 2 schedules from each 1 minute for 30 and 40 Mhz with a BW of 2.4 Mhz.
Add more steps for other subsequencial frequencie and time blocks within the 12 hours that you want to monitor.
The resulting files are relatively small and thus easy to play back.
Attachments
SDRC scheduler.JPG

jdow

Unread post by jdow »

Let's play suppose....

Suppose your spectrum and waterfall FFT has 1 million points, what I am running now. Suppose you record once per second. The size of a float is four bytes. I could be converted to a short integer, two bytes. And there are 86400 seconds per day. So for one day you have 86400 seconds times 1 million points/second times 4 bytes/point or, in very round numbers, 350 gigabytes of data to deal with. Are you sure?

{o.o}

PD3LK

Unread post by PD3LK »

That seems correct JD, that'll make 175 Gieg for a half day. No problem for a 2 or 4Tb disk but yes it's a lot to play back ;)

pauldbnut

Unread post by pauldbnut »

Gary, I just wonder if monitoring a spot frequency would be good enough?
The Spectrum: Signal History can be configured for a buffer up to 48 hours, fairly easy on storage if exported.
Paul White (Grumpy Old Git)