Pluto SDR definition - unable to change port

yo3ihg

Pluto SDR definition - unable to change port

Unread post by yo3ihg »

Hello,

I would like to use the Adalm Pluto SDR remotely over internet between my two locations. In both sides I have Gb fiber connection, so bandwidth is not a problem.
Unfortunately, I am not able to use Server application, since I will not be able to transmit.

The easiest solution was to configure port forwarding on the router. However, I can access the Pluto SDR only if the external port is the same with the internal default port 30431.
If I am using another external port configured on the router, the SDR Console is not connecting. This configuration with other external ports is working properly for other applications, so the router does his job.

No matter what port I am trying to configure, the SDR Console v3.0.26 is always forwarding frames to the default port 30431.
Please see the attached Wireshark capture. The TCP frame destination port is always 30431.

How can I configure a different port for the Pluto definition on the SDR Console v3.0.26?

Thank you in advance,
Vlad YO3IHG
Attachments
port 30555 configured
port 30555 configured
port 30555 configured
port 30555 configured
router config
router config
sdr console error
sdr console error
error.JPG (31.87 KiB) Viewed 870 times
port 0 configured
port 0 configured

jdow

Re: Pluto SDR definition - unable to change port

Unread post by jdow »

yo3ihg wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 9:40 am Hello,

I would like to use the Adalm Pluto SDR remotely over internet between my two locations. In both sides I have Gb fiber connection, so bandwidth is not a problem.
Unfortunately, I am not able to use Server application, since I will not be able to transmit.

Thank you in advance,
Vlad YO3IHG
You have made a fundamental error, Vlad. The Pluto input/output is USB2. So that is your basic speed limit. Ethernet will not make it faster. At least gigabit fiber won't slow you down, necessarily. (It might depending on the hardware.) But if you are choosing to use Ethernet because it's faster, you will be disappointed.

SDRC can change the port to which it listens; but, there is a chicken and egg problem, which comes first, for SDRC controlling the port Pluto uses. That must be set by some other means. And I'm not at all sure SDRC's Ethernet option for Pluto can change the port number. I've never tried.

{o.o}

yo3ihg

Unread post by yo3ihg »

I have no issue with the speed. I am not trying to increase the speed.
I am using ETH to be able to access the PlutoSDR remotely, outside of LAN.

It seems there is a problem with SDR Console and I am not sure if this is known or not.
Even though there is a port option in the radio definition, the port number doesn't actually change and this can be seen in the Wireshark capture.

For security reasons, I would have liked to use another port outside of my local network.

Vlad YO3IHG

jdow

Unread post by jdow »

Yes, you cannot change Pluto's port from SDRC. You must change Pluto's port by other means and then match that in SDRC settings. And a quick search suggests this will require some software work on your part if it can be done at all. For most people this is not something to even think about. The Pluto itself is what it is and changing ports is not going to happen, changing addresses is. So that still gives Pluto devices unique addressing since both IP address and port must lead to the device and the device's service.

{^_^}

PD3LK

Unread post by PD3LK »

Not sure if this is going to help Vlad but there is nice tool called "USB over Network"

It is not free but there is a trial period. Look on https : // www. fabulatech. com (remove spaces)
I can't show much more then this because my trial period has ended.
Attachments
USB over Network.jpg

yo3ihg

Unread post by yo3ihg »

In the past, when I had LimeSDR Mini, I've tried to use some USB over ETH software. After testing I was not so happy with them and at some point I even lost my bluetooth drivers for some reason because of this software.
Anyway, for USB over ETH you need some expensive hardware, or another PC running along with the Pluto SDR.

Is there any chance that Simon G4ELI can improve SDR Console, to be able to change the port from radio definition GUI?

Thanks,
Vlad YO3IHG

PD3LK

Unread post by PD3LK »

Simon, please can you advise Vlad?

In my opinion one cannot connect to a USB device via Ethernet just by adding a IP & port number in the Radio Definition pane. At least i never succeeded with this on a SDRplay. But maybe a Pluto is different, don't know, i don't have one.