Rspdx not starting

kevtheskin

Rspdx not starting

Unread post by kevtheskin »

Hello there,

Can anyone help please . My Rspdx and sdrplay are failing to start also my rtlsdr v3 takes ages to start as well now. Using 3.1 2320 buld. Have uninstalled and reinstalled still the same. sdruno works fine with rspdx and sdrplay. Rtlsdrv3 works ok in sdr#.

Thanks for any help in advanced.
Cheers Kev

Max

Re: Rspdx not starting

Unread post by Max »

Kev

Great majority of issues with RSP not starting is insufficient power via USB. So if using a USB hub it needs to be of the powered variety, or use the USB sockets direct on the PC motherboard. Similarly problems can be caused by poor quality USB cables. So if already using a powered hub or direct-to-PC USB connection, then try swapping or replacing the USB cables. That's what I would do for starters.

Not sure about the slow starting RTL SDR. Could possibly be similar issues, especially poor or failing USB cable?

When you say RTL SDR "taking ages", how long? I find that often for any radio the first start of the day is slower than subsequent starts with almost any SDR, but after first start then subsequent SDR starts are almost instant.

Also, by way of a control, have you tried non-local SDRs from radios listed on the V3 remote Servers? Takes seconds to set some of these up, for example, Simon's own server with remote HF+ radios? This will show if it's a radio issue or an issue with the SDR Console installation itself.

Just in case you do not know how to do this then here are some great step by step instructions by Kriss Kliegle here:

https://sdr-radio.groups.io/g/main/message/53082

Press "Select Radio " to get to first screen. Also in the instructions the button shown as SDRSpace.com is now relabelled as "Online Servers". But apart from that it's all good.

Max

kevtheskin

Thanks the reply Max,
Have not tried a powered hub but have tried different cables no joy. Sdr console just hangs and says not responding. The same thing happens with Rtlsdr. Rtlsdr works fine with sdr# and rpsdx works fine with sdruno. Dont really like using sdruno prefer the console :( 73s Kev

jdow

Unread post by jdow »

SDRC will normally work in pretty anemic hardware. Just the same please tell us about your hardware. Make sure you are using a powered hub. RTL dongles use about 75% to 85% of the power a USB2 port is required to deliver. they can work through two buffered USB cable lengths but not three. The regeneration aspect of the cables uses very little power. So cabling can be a source of problem, particularly on an unpowered hub with more than one thing attached to it. (FWIW I have an unpowered USB3 hub that won't run an AirSpy R2 reliably. That one caught be unawares. IMAO hubs are supposed to be powered. I found a use for that damn thing. But I hate the bare thought of it. It's just waiting there to cause me problems.)

And please show pictures before failure and during or after if possible, Make them full size. Don't crop the edges off or anything like that. The margins of SDRC windows show a lot of information. You can either take a full screenshot of all windows or either an alt-prtscrn capture or a capture from the camera icons in SDRC for each SDRC window. Swamp us with an overabundance of information. That gives us the best chance of being able to help you.

{^_^}

Simon G4ELI

Unread post by Simon G4ELI »

kevtheskin wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 3:23 pm Thanks the reply Max,
Have not tried a powered hub but have tried different cables no joy. Sdr console just hangs and says not responding. The same thing happens with Rtlsdr. Rtlsdr works fine with sdr# and rpsdx works fine with sdruno. Dont really like using sdruno prefer the console :( 73s Kev
SDR Console is a 64-bit application, SDR# etc. 32-bit (I think). This may be a reason but I can't explain further.

If the RTL Dongle doesn't start then clearly something's wrong.
Simon Brown :shock:
www.sdr-radio.com

Do not send me direct e-mail, thank-you!

jdow

Unread post by jdow »

I wonder if he helpfully copied the 32 bit files from SDRSharp over the files your distribution provides.
{o.o}

PD3LK

Unread post by PD3LK »

Or is the radio assigned to SDR Server?

kevtheskin

A wee update. Tried a different cable and it seemed to behave itself so possibly 3 duff cables. I am now in process of setting everything up on my laptop but found that the program audio stutters? The laptop is a Dell Inspiron 15 7000 Gaming laptop I7 16gig memory Nvidia gtx 1060 graphics.
My main pc is also a gaming box I7 32gig memory and nvidia Rtx 3090 card. Cheers 73s Kev

KA1GJU

Unread post by KA1GJU »

Should not be stuttering audio or bandscope/waterfall with that equipment (i7 computer).
Once it’s up and running, use the screen shot button (top ‘ribbon bar’) and post the unedited image of the screen so we can analyze it.
Be sure to have the DSP panel displayed when taking the screenshot.
To post an image, use the Full Editor &Preview button below the text entry box and click on “Attachments” below the expanded text entry window.

What bandwidth are you operating the SDR play at?

73 Kriss KA1GJU
73 Kriss KA1GJU Home of the KA1GJU Super Station SDRC Servers in NH, USA (FN42mw & FN43na)

jdow

Unread post by jdow »

This sounds a whole lot like USB contention or a plain flaky USB configuration on that laptop. The way he managed to get this far with the stouter cable suggests he's connecting it to an under provisioned port.

{o.o}