Easy access to tuning steps.

πŸ™‹ If you want a new feature or a change to the software then add your request here.

If it's not here then it's not going to happen.
goscickiw

Re: Easy access to tuning steps.

Unread post by goscickiw »

m3ghe wrote: ↑Sat Sep 19, 2020 5:42 pm
Simon G4ELI wrote: ↑Sat Sep 19, 2020 5:37 pm
goscickiw wrote: ↑Sat Sep 19, 2020 5:21 pm Also, it would be nice to have the tuning step automatically switch depending on the selected receiver's frequency.
Not a chance!
Not sure I would want that.
Why not? That doesn't seem like something hard to code. And if you don't want to use it, you could just not enable it.

pauldbnut

Unread post by pauldbnut »

goscickiw wrote: ↑Sat Sep 19, 2020 5:46 pm
m3ghe wrote: ↑Sat Sep 19, 2020 5:42 pm
Simon G4ELI wrote: ↑Sat Sep 19, 2020 5:37 pm

Not a chance!
Not sure I would want that.
Why not? That doesn't seem like something hard to code. And if you don't want to use it, you could just not enable it.
One objection is that providing frequency-dependent receiver configuration requires a new "layer" that might be called "band plans".
Apart from being a whole new tranche of coding and "database maintenance", this would also need to offer user-defined configuration.
Different parts of the RF spectrum have shared (overlapping) service allocations, often with different channel spacing (and modes).
Users will have individual preferences for service type, hence tuning step. And may want to choose between different services at different times.
If Simon pushed out a simplified "plan" for just Am/BC/whatever, there would be never-ending requests for extension.
Rather a big ask IMO.

As it is, we don't even have a ribbon showing (user-selectable) ITU frequency allocations - a big task in itself.
Paul White (Grumpy Old Git)

goscickiw

Other programs have these features and there doesn't seem to be a problem. Maybe the band plan part (which is another feature that I'd like to have) could be some kind of a module that someone could replace with their own if they needed something more advanced?

Max

Unread post by Max »

No auto step for me thanks. If it was a feature it should be possible to switch it off.

But, as mentioned earlier, it might be nice to save the step size with Favourites data, as is the case with the mode now. This would allow a Favourite for different band to be saved with step size and would actually achieve a "semi-auto" feature via a roundabout (but to me nicer) route. e.g. Save one favourite for AM band , 9 kHz steps and another favourite for AM band, 10 kHz steps.

Max

Simon G4ELI

Unread post by Simon G4ELI »

goscickiw wrote: ↑Sat Sep 19, 2020 6:21 pm Other programs have these features and there doesn't seem to be a problem. Maybe the band plan part (which is another feature that I'd like to have) could be some kind of a module that someone could replace with their own if they needed something more advanced?
Well please use the other programs which support this! I will be adding a band plan.
Simon Brown :shock:
www.sdr-radio.com

Do not send me direct e-mail, thank-you!

goscickiw

Simon G4ELI wrote: ↑Sat Sep 19, 2020 7:00 pm
goscickiw wrote: ↑Sat Sep 19, 2020 6:21 pm Other programs have these features and there doesn't seem to be a problem. Maybe the band plan part (which is another feature that I'd like to have) could be some kind of a module that someone could replace with their own if they needed something more advanced?
Well please use the other programs which support this! I will be adding a band plan.
I use SDR# too, however for most things that I do SDR Console is better.
Max wrote: ↑Sat Sep 19, 2020 6:51 pm No auto step for me thanks. If it was a feature it should be possible to switch it off.

But, as mentioned earlier, it might be nice to save the step size with Favourites data, as is the case with the mode now. This would allow a Favourite for different band to be saved with step size and would actually achieve a "semi-auto" feature via a roundabout (but to me nicer) route. e.g. Save one favourite for AM band , 9 kHz steps and another favourite for AM band, 10 kHz steps.

Max
I think that it should always be possible to disable this type of feature - I can see where it could be annoying. I would be fine with saving the tuning step in a favourite, it could probably be even better for the way I use the program.

PD3LK

Unread post by PD3LK »

Jim/Simon is there a way to close a tread for futher discussions when the problem has been solved? (tuning steps are added)

m3ghe

Unread post by m3ghe »

PD3LK wrote: ↑Sun Sep 20, 2020 7:24 pm Jim/Simon is there a way to close a tread for futher discussions when the problem has been solved? (tuning steps are added)
Yes there is, an Admin can lock the topic if they see fit.
Martin
m3ghe
IO92sc
G-QRP club 6129
Use my online radios http://remoteradio.myddns.me/ or http://remoteradio.changeip.org/

G0OFE

Unread post by G0OFE »

Considered this, but decided to leave it open in case anything else came up on the subject.
Jim, Bournemouth IO90BR

Max

Unread post by Max »

Have never seen the value in "closing" relevant topics. The discussion usually expires naturally without any "state" intervention!

Max