zoom and frequency issue with external radio and tracking

All bug reports here please
M0NJA

Re: zoom and frequency issue with external radio and tracking

Unread post by M0NJA »

I can say that this sadly exists, the moment you use the zoom slider it changes the frequency, you can see the signal has shifted in the green receive bandwidth, I need to do tests later and monitor the
IF bandwidth on one of the left option windows and see if that shifts as well, such a shame as the buggy older programs based of power SDR IF and Nap3; don't exhibit this issue, they are just plauged with graphics issues and freezes.
I would happy donate to a version of SDR console with the issue fixed.
Please look Into this more deeply.
Regards Jason

Max

Unread post by Max »

M0NJA wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 9:09 am I can say that this sadly exists, the moment you use the zoom slider it changes the frequency, you can see the signal has shifted in the green receive bandwidth, I need to do tests later and monitor the
IF bandwidth on one of the left option windows and see if that shifts as well, such a shame as the buggy older programs based of power SDR IF and Nap3; don't exhibit this issue, they are just plauged with graphics issues and freezes.
I would happy donate to a version of SDR console with the issue fixed.
Please look Into this more deeply.
Regards Jason
Jason, can you please confirm that you are using SDRC in panadapter mode to monitor IF frequency of external radio? Can you please fully describe your full setup, including radios and IF shift. It's impossible for Simon to diagnose issues where the full setup is not clear, including all the hardware.

Full range of screenshots including main screen and also the external radio settings is mandatory to diagnose the issue. Always send screenshots as attachments, not embedded images.

Max

Max

Unread post by Max »

M0NJA wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 9:09 am I can say that this sadly exists, the moment you use the zoom slider it changes the frequency, you can see the signal has shifted in the green receive bandwidth
Just in case he was not aware of this thread I've highlighted it to Simon via the Test Team. Just to warn it's unlikely it will be looked at any time very soon as Simon has finished the current development run of SDRC and is concentrating on some projects for himself (and no doubt others will benefit from these too) but it is definitely on his list of issues to look at when he next revisits SDRC, so watch this space.

As a short term fix I suggest running the SDR in "split RX antenna" configuration to obtain the panadapter, on HF at least. If you do this with a good quality HF SDR (I recommend the Airspy HF+ Discovery for price versus superb performance) the RX performance probably exceeds that of the black box rig. I fully understand this does not solve the issue for VHF/UHF users.

https://airspy.com/airspy-hf-discovery/

If you want true SDR experience and performance (which is primarily what SDRC is designed for) on HF without the need to faff about with syncing external radios, then for comparatively small money I can wholeheartedly recommend the Hermes Lite 2 SDR. Even some Flex users have ditched their Flex in favour of this astonishing little radio but yes, it does ideally need an LDMOS linear adding to get power up from the standard 5W output.

https://www.makerfabs.com/catalogsearch ... /?q=hermes

http://www.hermeslite.com/

https://youtu.be/qlgq52IIUo8

Max

M0NJA

Unread post by M0NJA »

I'm using latest sdrc console with omirig 1.2, using a Kenwood ts 950sdx with a noolec nesdr smart rtl adapter, at 300khz bandwidth, using IF Output and 8.830.000, when zooming in the display it changes the IF display on the left above the external radio, and changes the main window filter location, the frequency displayed does not change in the window of sdrc just it's gone off frequency itself in the programme alone, the moment you touch the vfo on the radio sdrc jumps back to it's correct place..

Max

Unread post by Max »

M0NJA wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 4:58 pm I'm using latest sdrc console with omirig 1.2, using a Kenwood ts 950sdx with a noolec nesdr smart rtl adapter, at 300khz bandwidth, using IF Output and 8.830.000, when zooming in the display it changes the IF display on the left above the external radio, and changes the main window filter location, the frequency displayed does not change in the window of sdrc just it's gone off frequency itself in the programme alone, the moment you touch the vfo on the radio sdrc jumps back to it's correct place..
OK thanks Jason. I can see enough people having this issue over quite a long period of time to make me think it's most likely not operator issues so hopefully Simon will now keep a watch on this thread and see if he can do anything.

Max

M0NJA

Unread post by M0NJA »

Hi Max the thing is if you go back a few pages there is a video of it showing it happening years ago, I can't believe it's been going on for years.
Jason

Max

Unread post by Max »

M0NJA wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 12:18 pm Hi Max the thing is if you go back a few pages there is a video of it showing it happening years ago, I can't believe it's been going on for years.
Jason
Hi Jason

Yes, I can see it's frustrating for users of panadapter with IF outputs. Will have to leave Simon to comment on that one. Can only think it's not the highest on his list of priorities because this specific use of SDRC is in the minority of users. Majority of users on here I would say from the posts are full SDR users, many of them SWLs but also many hams with SDR transceivers. Then after that, external radio with SDR in parallel with antenna. I can only say that Simon has said he will look at it when able as its now on his radar.

Max

m0rdw

Unread post by m0rdw »

Hi Max

Apologies for the delay, i've been really busy. Firstly, thanks to Jason for strengthening my argument.

I feel if it was not for Jason, this issue which has existed for years and has been clearly evidenced by the video posted a couple of years ago would have once again been put down to "user error" which clearly it is not!

It is a software issue which has been present for a good couple of years and I feel that lots of people would use the panadapter function of this software if it worked correctly as it is a way of bringing the older radios into the modern technology era with the same visual display as the latest new all singing and dancing SDR type radios. It really is wonderful to be able to "see" the band instead of having to tune up and down.

Having tried various radios and sdr combinations, this issue exists across them all. It is a problem in the "External radio" interface of the software. Not a problem with IF, dongle, radio or CAT control.

None of the other software alternatives have this issue, it is only SDR Console.

I totally understand that this is a free to use software created by one guy - Simon - and for that I am eternally grateful for his time and devotion to this project. I use it with my stand alone HF Discovery + with absolutely no issues whatsoever and it is in my opinion the best software available in this domain.

That is why this issue is so frustrating!

I also second Jasons comment that I would be prepared to pay a small fee if it would assist in solving this issue.

My "tone" was due to the fact it was quite clear that you kept trying to make excuses that weren't even relevant, to be able to dismiss this long term and valid issue as "user error" instead of accepting that this is actually an issue and making Simon aware to possibly work a fix in the future.

Rich

Max

Unread post by Max »

m0rdw wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 10:03 am It is a software issue which has been present for a good couple of years and I feel that lots of people would use the panadapter function of this software if it worked correctly as it is a way of bringing the older radios into the modern technology era with the same visual display as the latest new all singing and dancing SDR type radios. It really is wonderful to be able to "see" the band instead of having to tune up and down.

Rich
Hi Rich and also Jason

Yep, no worries on any issue. Just trying to help get to the bottom of this. My main issue is I don't use console with external radio so in many respects I'm really not the ideal person to be having this conversation!

I 100% see that this could well be a bug and I'm not trying to make excuses, but I can say having used SDRC for many years, and also with CAT that if one thig seems to cause more issues than any other its external radio/CAT control issues.

What we really need is for someone using SDRC as panadapter with external radio to come along and read this who is definitely NOT seeing this issue. We've already seen one post to this (long) thread from someone who say they definitely don't see the issue.

So can you please humour me for just one small trial (Jason too please, and of course Phill IZ1FKS if he's still reading this!). Can you please go to "View" tab in SDRC and have a look at the setting "Auto centre" (see my attached picture). If it is already off, then I am "barking up the wrong tree". If it is checked "On", can you please turn it off, and then check again that when you change zoom on SDRC you still get the frequency change?

The zoom level reset may be a separate issue? It's just the small unwanted frequency change when zooming I'm trying to understand first.

Max

Max

Unread post by Max »

Max wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 9:20 pm Can you please go to "View" tab in SDRC and have a look at the setting "Auto centre" (see my attached picture). If it is already off, then I am "barking up the wrong tree". If it is checked "On", can you please turn it off, and then check again that when you change zoom on SDRC you still get the frequency change?
Sorry, forgot the picture (probably not needed):
AC.gif
AC.gif (18.64 KiB) Viewed 311 times