QRPLabs QDX and SDRConsole issues?

G4ZFQ

Re: QRPLabs QDX and SDRConsole issues?

Unread post by G4ZFQ »

I've not waded through all the posts, just tried a QDX with Console.
I see no way to use it except as a soundcard Softrock, Xtal, fixed frequency.
Set it to IQ mode, might as well keep the QDX terminal open to tune it.
Select it in Definitions, set the LO (tuning centre) with the terminal.
Set the console frequency to this value.
Then clicking signals keeps things steady and you get ~48KHz bandwidth.

I guess Simon could add it to console definitions but I do not see much demand for 48KHz wide soundcard SDRs nowadays, let alone a QDX digital mode only transceiver that works with digital mode software.
You may receive properly with HDSDR, not the most modern program but the basic receive function works well.

73 Alan G4ZFQ

KA6MOK

Unread post by KA6MOK »

jdow... Do you not see the three pics on the Amazon Photo site with that link? Am I missing a way to upload an image? What I see is the "image" icon, next to the insert URL button, but it seems to only want a http URL, not an actual pic from my PC. Image That's what happens when I try to load the Amazon Pics link, as an image, for the folder. What do you see if you try that URL I sent earlier? I try it and I see the 3 pics I put there.

When you can see the pics, you see the External Radio window that I'm using, connecting with Ommni-Rig, is emulating a Kenwood TS-440, which is the preferred QDX CAT control set. The RX tuning part seems to work fine, it's the window tuning that seems to be tuning along (in opposite direction) with it, and it shouldn't, that's the problem.

G4ZFQ...
No need to use the QDX console to change frequency, see the first post. Using Simon's External Radio instructions, and getting a copy of Ommni-Rig 1.2, and telling it to use Kenwood TS440... works for SDRConsole to tune the QDX with the standard tuning window. Except for the weird spectrum window movement when you tune. I feel like we're all talking past each other somewhat. I may not be using the proper names for the "RX window tuning" and the "Spectrum/waterfall tuning". The pics I took should make it clear if my words dont.

It may never be a regular transceiver, being that I guess SDRConsole isn't supposed to be a digital radio interface. It can be a good SSB or general coverage RX in its working range, that's something you don't get now with the digital mode softwares, they don't allow you to easily tune off of the narrow accepted frequencies.
Last edited by KA6MOK on Thu Feb 23, 2023 8:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

jdow

Unread post by jdow »

Click on "Full Editor & Preview" if you are not seeing the full editor. (Sometimes it shows and sometimes not.)

That includes a way to upload images. Two rows of icons will show up. Below "Save draft", "Preview", and "Submit" buttons you will see two tabs, Options and Attachments. Follow your nose from there.

Where is your antenna for the SDRC getting its signal from? If it is coming from the antenna you want to do something different than if it is coming from a radio's IF tap. I'd visit sdr-radio.com and follow my nose through the menus to find further help. This is not something I do.

Look in tools->options->Tuning->General. The top pair of radio buttons may change centering behavior to your satisfaction once the tuned frequency is tracked properly.

{^_^}

KA6MOK

Unread post by KA6MOK »

OK, well that wasn't obvious...
Here's the first pic, WWV on 10.000mhz Waterfall centered on 10.000, RX window tuned to 10.000. Everything fine.
QDX_WWV.png
Now, here's where I tune up 10khz. RX window now tuned to "10.010Mhz" but you see that the waterfall got tuned/moved in the opposite direction, and WWV is now erroneously appearing on 9.990Mhz. I also let it run for half the screen, you can see the first condition in the bottom half.
QDX_WWV up 10.png
Here is an attempt to tune on the FT8 digi mode frequency of 14.074Mhz, centered on the frequency. It almost is correct, you see the FT8 stations in that band (14.074 -14.077Mhz) a bit over 1khz up in frequency from where they should be.
QDX_14074.png

KA6MOK

Unread post by KA6MOK »

About to change that button and see, getting late here. The signal is from antenna to QDX to SDRC. This isn't looking at an IF in a different radio.
Tried both settings of When Active receiver not visible... No action or Adjust the display freq... Both make no difference, as I tune the receiver, the waterfall moves in opposite direction as well.
Last edited by KA6MOK on Thu Feb 23, 2023 9:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

G4ZFQ

Unread post by G4ZFQ »

OK, I did not realise that Omnirig could be used with the soundcard selected.
You have tried reversing the spectrum, I forget what Simon calls it?
My QDX now does not tune properly in HDSDR. It certainly has done. I think there may be something changing in the many firmware updates but have not yet worked out what is happening. Monitoring the LO seems to indicate it does not always change to where it should go.
There certainly have been tuning bugs, maybe Hans has still some to iron out. If that is the case we need to be able to tell him exactly what happens.
(The previous two bugs blocked out sections of the tuning range outside normal ham bands.)

I've just seen your new post, has it really rectified your problem? What firmware do you have?

73 Alan

KA6MOK

Unread post by KA6MOK »

I have been following from the beginning, a suggested way to get SDRC working, or mostly so. Original poster on the other forum has dissappeared, so we cant ask if it fully worked. Issues I had early on, was that I had not enabled the I/Q mode that did not exist back when the post was authored. I think he was just seeing 3khz bandwidth. I'm using 1.08a, there is now a 1.09, but I believe most of the updates pertain to the single band or high band versions of the QDX. During my time with a QDX I've gone from 1.04 or 1.05 to 1.08a. Its always performed (tuned) flawlessly with WSJTX and JS8Call.

What I'd like someone to explain, is how is the waterfall window "tuned" or moved across the frequency? And, how might that get tied to the RX window moving around with a tuning change? I would think they are two different kinds of tuning, and normally only tuned by the user, using that slliding bar at the bottom of the waterfall... and also with some logic of when the RX window tuning moves outside the visible waterfall, the waterfall jumps to "catch up" with it or something like that. Or, when you dial in a large change in frequency, the RX window goes on that, and the waterfall also is moved to be centered or near around it.

Another clue? I just tried dragging the waterfall bar at the bottom of the screen. Current zoom has one "notch" being 5khz. If I move the waterfall up 5 and leave the RX tuning at 5.000, the station I was centered on STAYS CENTERED, while the frequency label in the waterfall/spectrum moves down 5Khz over it, along with the RX tuning! And, WWV looks like it's on 5.005.
Screenshot-2023-02-23-014845.jpeg
I can't imagine this is something inside the QDX, the waterfall and RX windows are part of SDRConsole, right? It looks like for some reason these two separate tuning functions are being (mis)controlled at the same time.

Forgot to mention, checking the Invert Spectrum box does not seem to change anything. It may look like if the waterfall "backwards" tuning was inverted, maybe it would work correctly? Am I missing a different way of inverting? Will try to find documentation to see if I did it right. Very late here now. I seem to recall checking that box resulted in the spectrum backwards (lower freq to right side of screen) not the weird tuning, on my RSP2.

G4ZFQ

Unread post by G4ZFQ »

I'm no expert on SDR Console, there are different ways to setup SDR programs and sometimes the expected setting is missing.
The important thing that should not change is true tuning. If you set tuning to, say, CW then WWV should always be tuned in the centre of the tuning marker at 10MHz.
If it is not then the radio is not following the CAT.
As far as I know there are few users of the QDX receiving in IQ mode. Only a few enquiries but no follow up. It is an add-on, not the reason to buy a QDX and not promoted as such so other's experiences do not seem available.

73 Alan

KA6MOK

Unread post by KA6MOK »

jdow wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 11:11 am Are you saying that the spectrum does not follow the waterfall in the main window? I suspect that would REALLY get Simon's interest.

{^_^}
Look closely (expand) at the pic where I have the QDX tuned to 10.010 Mhz.
Before this, the starting point was, tuned to WWV, on 10.000 Mhz, and that centered on the waterfall with the >|<.

What you see is:
1. The radio (green bandwidth that is what ends up in your speakers) is tuned to 10.010 Mhz, and has moved up 10 Khz from the center of the screen.
2. The waterfall seems to have moved down 10Khz, with WWV appearing on 9.990 Mhz on the waterfall frequency scale.
3. The waterfall "tuning" bar, at the bottom of the waterfall, is still centered on 10.000 Mhz, despite the waterfall having "moved" down and WWV is no longer in the center of the screen.

Does this fit your description? Simon?

G4ZFQ

Unread post by G4ZFQ »

Could the explanation be that the radio is not actually on the frequency that Console has commanded?

Alan