RX Splitter

lappydesktop

RX Splitter

Unread post by lappydesktop »

I came across this splitter the other day (i'm not associated with them) , i need one for the FT-2000 and the Rspdx using the rear in/out and rx button on the 2000 .

One is turning up in a few days , it looks nicely made with input protections , there is also one that is amplified but i got the standard version .

I'll keep you updated , cheers .
Attachments
2-way-small-splitter-in-box.jpg

lappydesktop

Re: RX Splitter

Turned up today , rspdx for reference , now for some connection leads , 1x sma to bnc 1x sma to PL259 (both for rear of Radio , 1x sma to bnc to rspdx all using rg316 cable , cheers all .
Attachments
3.jpg
1.jpg
2.jpg

jdow

Unread post by jdow »

Um um um er ah that is worthwhile for the protection if you use it ONLY for reception. If you use it for TX the RX on the other port WILL (most likely) go down. That board would not like 100 Watts from a transmitter, itself, based on components I can see. And it has little or no isolation receiver to receiver in a real world setting. (Receivers may be designed to work with nominal 50 ohm sources; but, their actual input impedance may be VERY different.) Think carefully about where all that RF is going when you transmit.

{o.o}

lappydesktop

jdow wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2023 12:25 pm Um um um er ah that is worthwhile for the protection if you use it ONLY for reception. If you use it for TX the RX on the other port WILL (most likely) go down. That board would not like 100 Watts from a transmitter, itself, based on components I can see. And it has little or no isolation receiver to receiver in a real world setting. (Receivers may be designed to work with nominal 50 ohm sources; but, their actual input impedance may be VERY different.) Think carefully about where all that RF is going when you transmit.
{o.o}
What part of the RX don't you understand?

Edited next day- And
Parameters
Impedance 50 or 75 Ohm
Insertion loss: around 0.5 dB
Split 3 dB, together with IL around 3.5 dB
Isolation more than 30 dB, 160-15m more than 40 dB
SWR on splitted ports better than 1 : 1.1 on HF, resp. 1 : 1.19 on 6m
SWR on main port around 1 : 1.3 on HF, resp. 1 : 1.4 on 6m
Maximal current continue 100 mA
Maximal voltage around 65 V

KA1GJU

Unread post by KA1GJU »

Nobody has complained about my use of a BNC Tee on Super Station #1's antenna. :geek:

I do use multi couplers when three or more SDR's are sharing an antenna such as KA1GJU @ W1WQM and KA1GJU Super Station #4 servers.
The only issue is the couplers do not pass VHF and higher such as the Stridesburg MCA104M that I use.
http://stridsbergeng.com/multicouplers.html

73 Kriss KA1GJU
73 Kriss KA1GJU Home of the KA1GJU Super Station SDRC Servers in NH, USA (FN42mw & FN43na)

lappydesktop

Flash looking stuff there Kriss on that link supplied , i used to make up 6 outs 1 in from modified Tv amplified splitters for hf/sw only and they did the job for awhile but rough , this one is my 1st commercial one , half the leads have turned up so far so it's still unused atm .

Jfi here is the website also , they also supply kit form to assemble one up oneself and of course cheaper

https://hamparts.shop/splitters-combiners/

Paul

FT2000D
Attachments
ant.jpg

lappydesktop

Btw Kriss whilst i think of it , could you take a listen one day or days on 14200Khz usb for a bip bip bip that goes forever (so far)
and
7171KhZ lsb for a errrh aaaah errh aaaah (sounds like a fax machine trying to connect) also goes on forever , if you have yagi's? due north west from you? , i have narrowed them down to above Hong Kong and west of south Korea maybe between of Chendu and Wuhan area , maybe , let me know if you can hear them if you could/can .

lappydesktop

Wow , thanks to the RSPdx and SDRconsole using the splitter after several tests today and also at the moment i have the main VFO parked on 40M monitoring , the sub RX parked on 20M monitoring and the RSPdx/SdrC on the Shortwave Band on 15160Khz from overseas listening ALL at the same time!.

As mentioned for the RSPdx i just press the RX button on the radio to connect the main antenna that the FT-2000 uses and with a minimal signal loss to the RSPdx/splitter combo btw .

I tested TX and as long as one is not receiving on the RSPdx on the same band as the main radio TX there are no issues at all on SDRconsole and testing has found out that the auto mute does its job when on the same band but of course not on the same frequency .

Years ago this setup would have taken 3 receivers , 3 antennas and all the associated stuff and plenty of room , even just back a few years the same receivers and a home made splitter for the one antenna which took up a lot of bench space (i actually had a 5 radio setup and trying to find the correct volume control was a issue :oops: )

Now thanks to the RSPdx a laptop and this Radio , all is good and nearly a complete Shack in a box , Paul :D .

lappydesktop

Just in case anyone is interested as a follow on re: the splitter ,
1st screenshot is sdrc parked on 7138Khz and sstv being sent out on 7171Khz using 150W
2nd screenshot is sdrc "on" the same frequency while TX sstv still using 150W
On TX the radio (Yaesu FT2000D) disables RX by disconnecting the antenna path using the internal relay in the radio and therefore to the splitter .
cheers , Paul
Attachments
Screenshot-2023-10-02-073025.jpeg
Screenshot-2023-10-02-073025.jpeg (136.56 KiB) Viewed 1466 times
Screenshot-2023-10-02-073126.jpeg
Screenshot-2023-10-02-073126.jpeg (138.48 KiB) Viewed 1466 times