External Radio IC-756P2 + RSP1A freeze and syncro issues

iz1fks

External Radio IC-756P2 + RSP1A freeze and syncro issues

Unread post by iz1fks »

I have moved to RSP1A, but the behaviour is always the same, issues with this syncro in External radio when tracking is active. why the spectrum is freezed? why without syncro or syncro used for qo-100everything is working?

Radio=>SDR tracking only is simply NOT working

if SDR=>Radio is activated syncro in both direction works but with very serious freeze of the spectrum.

the issue appears when "IF output" is selected

73 de Phil,iz1fks

jdow

Re: External Radio IC-756P2 + RSP1A freeze and syncro issues

Unread post by jdow »

Usually one posting is sufficient. I posted a comment to the other thread you started.
{^_^}

iz1fks

Unread post by iz1fks »

jdow wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2023 12:17 am Usually one posting is sufficient. I posted a comment to the other thread you started.
{^_^}
I know, but since the setup has cheged to RSP1A perhaps more users of this hardware could be interested into, unfortunately I have not found a way to modify the title of the thread

73 de Phil

Max

Unread post by Max »

iz1fks wrote: Sat Jul 22, 2023 1:59 pm I have moved to RSP1A, but the behaviour is always the same, issues with this syncro in External radio when tracking is active. why the spectrum is freezed? why without syncro or syncro used for qo-100everything is working?
Radio=>SDR tracking only is simply NOT working
if SDR=>Radio is activated syncro in both direction works but with very serious freeze of the spectrum.
the issue appears when "IF output" is selected

73 de Phil,iz1fks
Phil. So many posts about this now I have not got time to go back and find the info if you posted it, but what is your Waterfall Resolution and Speed settings?

For interest, mine are:

Resolution - DEFAULT
Speed - 10

Max

iz1fks

Unread post by iz1fks »

[/quote]

Phil. So many posts about this now I have not got time to go back and find the info if you posted it, but what is your Waterfall Resolution and Speed settings?

For interest, mine are:

Resolution - DEFAULT
Speed - 10

Max
[/quote]
tks for answering, yes reducing resolution to default value it's a bit better, but the issue doesn't change since the behaviour is still very different between IF out mode and antenna mode even if the frequency syncro works in the same way (with the only difference in offset due to IF frequency of course). I don't see any reason for which the spectrum waterfall refreshing should be different at rig vfo change when the external radi otrack is active whenever in IF or antenna mode. Than there is also the auto zoom every time the rig frequency is changed with vfo...
73 de Phil, iz1fks

Max

Unread post by Max »

Phil

I just noticed (sorry if I am mistaken) that your Xeon proc was released 2008, and you don't say what your GPU is (if any)?

SDRC waterfall can under some circumstances be quite GPU intensive especially when it jumps range as (as far as I understand it - I am a programming illiterate) the whole waterfall has to be re-rendered from scratch. You also have low memory by today's standards at 8Gb although I'm not sure how demanding SDRC is in that respect. Possibly this is not a big issue.

As far as I can see you have stated:
PC: Xeon E5450 @3GHz quad core with 8 GB ram win7 x64.

Simon may comment. Simon's info on PC requirements are here:

https://www.sdr-radio.com/computer

Note particularly:

"If you have neither a GPU nor CPU with integrated graphics then the processing uses the CPU resulting in higher CPU usage."

TBH I wonder if you are simply asking too much of some quite dated tech?

I agree, I've no idea why the difference between Ant and IF mode but my guess would probably come back to how much of the screen needs re-drawing, possibly due to differences in the displayed bandwidth?

Be interesting if you have a more up to date PC with a decent GPU to test it on?

Max

iz1fks

Unread post by iz1fks »

Difference between Antenna and IF mode cannot be pc hardware related, since there is nothing different than a offeset in frequency setting to sdr and display. This hardware is far to be obsolete, it can compete with i5. Yes, the GPU is an entry level nvidia G210 but cpu and GPu usage is very low for the bandwidth required for IF panadapter. As explained a setup for qo-100 that I tried with rtl-sdr and ic-475 with CAT @ 1200bps worked fine!
I would like to know if there are other panadapter users with RSP1A or RTL-SDR that did'nt have those issues, because the problem is not the pc or the radio or the cat in my opinion...

73 de Phil,iz1fks

Max

Unread post by Max »

iz1fks wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2023 4:56 pm Difference between Antenna and IF mode cannot be pc hardware related, since there is nothing different than a offeset in frequency setting to sdr and display.

73 de Phil,iz1fks
So just to be clear, displayed waterfall bandwidth is identical or very similar between the two modes (IF/Antenna)?

Sorry if you did this already, but maybe post two full screenshots of SDRC in each mode (Antenna/IF), changing nothing else, and maybe we can see something? I doubt we will see anything, but it's worth trying?

Make sure FULL screenshots from screengrab tool in SDRC, not edited or cropped at all.

Max

iz1fks

Unread post by iz1fks »

Max wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2023 5:11 pm
iz1fks wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2023 4:56 pm Difference between Antenna and IF mode cannot be pc hardware related, since there is nothing different than a offeset in frequency setting to sdr and display.

73 de Phil,iz1fks
So just to be clear, displayed waterfall bandwidth is identical or very similar between the two modes (IF/Antenna)?

Sorry if you did this already, but maybe post two full screenshots of SDRC in each mode (Antenna/IF), changing nothing else, and maybe we can see something? I doubt we will see anything, but it's worth trying?

Make sure FULL screenshots from screengrab tool in SDRC, not edited or cropped at all.

Max
Yes of course, same bandwidth.

About screenshots they would be useless, you cannot see any difference; it would be necessary a couples of video moving rig VFO but I already did in the past using rtl-sdr (same issue no difference), unfortunately the link looks not working anymore

73 de Phil

jdow

Unread post by jdow »

OK, something you seemed to say suggests something potentially very different between satellite mode and normal HF mode or HF via an IF tap mode.

1) Are you using an IF tap or are you using the ProII's tap on the incoming RX RF stream to feed the front end dongle for SDRC?
2) Are you always tuning using SDRC or the ProII's VFO or a third party tool like HRDeluxe?

If something you are doing generates a negative tuning frequency, particularly within SDRC, expect it to behave rather badly. You should be able to figure this out yourself by playing with a calculator and actual tuning numbers. Note that if you are using the HF tap you need a rather different setup to make HF tuning work (converter frequency zero) from when you are using it on the satellite. Different numbers must be entered for the converter frequency. (That issue is being made simpler by Simon in his testing software.) Um, I think that converter frequency issue exists whether you are using the RF tap or the IF tap approach.

{^_^}