Important settings are not separate in different console identities.

All bug reports here please
K1FSY

Important settings are not separate in different console identities.

Unread post by K1FSY »

Hello!

I have been using SDR Console for about a year for VHF use with transverters with a Hermes Lite 2. I recently purchased a second HL2 so that I don't have to swap cables to switch between 222mhz and 144mhz.
I used the second identity which gave me a fresh console that I configured for the other HL2. The problem is that the alternate profile does not store it's own HL2 Radio Options (the settings inside the Options under the Radio heading on the RX pane.) Specifically, my 144 xverter is using the low power output and the PA needs to be disabled. The 222 xverter is using an interface box and needs the PA enabled. As such, I need the PA enabled on the alternate profile but disabled on the main profile. If I change the setting to enable the PA in the alternate profile, close the window, close the main window, and re-open the main profile, the PA is now enabled for the main profile in the options. While this isn't a problem for me other than not getting any power out from 144 when the PA is enabled, someone may eventually blow up their equipment with this issue.

Please separate out the Radio Options per identity! If that's not feasible, please have the software remember the radio settings on a per-radio basis, or set in the converter options when selecting a radio whether the PA is enabled or not.

Max

Re: Important settings are not separate in different console identities.

Unread post by Max »

K1FSY wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2023 12:25 pm If I change the setting to enable the PA in the alternate profile, close the window, close the main window, and re-open the main profile, the PA is now enabled for the main profile in the options. While this isn't a problem for me other than not getting any power out from 144 when the PA is enabled, someone may eventually blow up their equipment with this issue.

Please separate out the Radio Options per identity! If that's not feasible, please have the software remember the radio settings on a per-radio basis, or set in the converter options when selecting a radio whether the PA is enabled or not.
David. I have exactly the same setup as yourself, so to some extent I'd like the same functionality that you describe. However, if you use low power output for the transverters (as I do) and add (as is sensible) the RF3 separate receiver SMA socket then the worst that can happen is you transmit with PA enabled and no antenna connected (because by definition you are not using that output if you have sensibly connected RX3 to feed the receiver to prevent any damage to transverter). I've done this more times than I can remember in the last 4 years. That little PA on the HL2 seems bomb proof so I don't think there is any real risk of damage to the PA doing this.

I agree that this does, as mentioned, require the very simple addition of an RF3 SMA connected to the header of the HL2 with mini coax (actually the SMA is readily available already connected to mini coax, so it's even simpler). The alternative is the new HL2 IO Board which does the job for you and adds a whole load more features in terms of auto-switching for linears, transverters or what-have-you:

https://github.com/jimahlstrom/HL2IOBoard
https://www.makerfabs.com/hermes-lite-2-io-board.html

The other way around, for the other HL2, the worst thing that can happen is no RF out of the ANT socket, so in other words, no power. No harm done either.

Nevertheless I agree if you are utilising the ANT socket for the RX output to the transverter (unwise) then there is a risk, so I've drawn Simon's attention to this post in the Test Team and perhaps he will be able to consider what might (or might not) be possible.

Max

jdow

Unread post by jdow »

From reading Simon's messages both on the mailing list and here the HL2 saves its own settings and Simon merely reads them back. Perhaps it would be better to store them within SDRC but fill them from HL2 is this is a first time use.
{^_^}

Max

Unread post by Max »

jdow wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2023 12:53 am From reading Simon's messages both on the mailing list and here the HL2 saves its own settings and Simon merely reads them back. Perhaps it would be better to store them within SDRC but fill them from HL2 is this is a first time use.
{^_^}
Joanne, as you will have seen, Simon working on this as we type. Hopefully he can sort it. Would be useful.

Max

Max

Unread post by Max »

K1FSY wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2023 12:25 pm
Simon has now sorted this. HL2 Radio settings (PA enable, N2ADR enable, LNA Gain, Visual Gain etc etc) recalled according to which HL2 that you select, based on unique IP address of each radio. He's also adding ability to change MAC address of HL2 from within SDRC instead of having to use another program such as SparkSDR but I guess you already did this to run two HL2s alongside each other simultaneously.

Anyway, should appear shortly in the next Beta I would guess.

Max

K1FSY

Unread post by K1FSY »

Thanks Max, glad to hear this has been addressed in a future beta.

Max

Unread post by Max »

K1FSY wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2023 8:50 pm Thanks Max, glad to hear this has been addressed in a future beta.
It's working well now with the kinks ironed out by myself and other testers and also Simon added the ability to burn new MAC address and IP address to EEPROM natively inside SDRC so no need now for other progs like SparkSDR to accomplish this. Hopefully Simon will publish a new Beta any day now.

Max

Max

Unread post by Max »

Max wrote: Sat Oct 07, 2023 7:48 pm
K1FSY wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2023 8:50 pm Thanks Max, glad to hear this has been addressed in a future beta.
It's working well now with the kinks ironed out by myself and other testers
Of course what I meant was SIMON ironed out the kinks and we just tested them!

Max

Max

Unread post by Max »

David. This functionality for Hermes Lite 2 is now available in the latest Beta kit, Build 3117.

https://www.sdr-radio.com/download#Beta

Max

K1FSY

Unread post by K1FSY »

Thanks!