Console doesn't fully redraw when it has been in the background for some amount of time

All bug reports here please
K1FSY

Console doesn't fully redraw when it has been in the background for some amount of time

Unread post by K1FSY »

Hello again! I have another report which happens occasionally when I have the SDR console unfocused and behind other windows, but not minimized. After some length of time (usually long) I return to the console and find that a lot of the widgets have disappeared and aren't redrawn. The screenshot below shows what is missing. Buttons and the TX/RX frequency come back if I mouse over them (presumably because of the mouseover effects), but in order to get the frequency ribbons to redraw it requires a minimize and restore. Minimize/restore always fixes all of the buttons. Using Windows 11.

(the switcher humps are the 50v psu for my 2m amp... i'm working on it ;)

Max

Re: Console doesn't fully redraw when it has been in the background for some amount of time

Unread post by Max »

K1FSY wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2023 3:29 pm Hello again! I have another report which happens occasionally when I have the SDR console unfocused and behind other windows, but not minimized. After some length of time (usually long) I return to the console and find that a lot of the widgets have disappeared and aren't redrawn. The screenshot below shows what is missing. Buttons and the TX/RX frequency come back if I mouse over them (presumably because of the mouseover effects), but in order to get the frequency ribbons to redraw it requires a minimize and restore. Minimize/restore always fixes all of the buttons. Using Windows 11.

Sounds more like a hardware issue? What is your PC motherboard, memory, GPU? Did you check minimum hardware requirements, although if running Win 11 I doubt if you are underpowered:

https://www.sdr-radio.com/computer#SystemRequirements

If you have Nvidia GPU, check this out:

https://www.sdr-radio.com/nvidia-driver

Whatever GPU you have, make sure it's running the latest updates from the GPU manufacturer, and also that it's not inadvertently running on the Microsoft drivers.

Max

K1FSY

Re: Console doesn't fully redraw when it has been in the background for some amount of time

Unread post by K1FSY »

I'm running a fairly modern computer with an nvidia card and recent drivers. I think it mostly happens after the system turns off the screen and locks and has to be unlocked. I haven't seen this happen with any other software that i typically leave open such as web browsers, jtdx, etc, so I'm not sure if its something system-related or this software. It isn't that annoying, just something I've noticed over the last few months occasionally.

Max

Unread post by Max »

K1FSY wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2023 1:25 am I'm running a fairly modern computer with an nvidia card and recent drivers. I think it mostly happens after the system turns off the screen and locks and has to be unlocked. I haven't seen this happen with any other software that i typically leave open such as web browsers, jtdx, etc,
It's a strange one. I think there was a report of something similar by another user some time ago but I do believe that was a bug that Simon fixed and never heard of it since.

May still be worth taking a look for Nvidia driver updates to the latest version by using their own driver update tool "GeForce Experience". But from what you said most likely you have already done that.

Sorry, can't be of further help. Maybe if Simon reads this he may have a possible explanation.

Max

jdow

Unread post by jdow »

Simon has the whole SDRC system finely tuned to not redraw regions that are not changed. It may be that the unlock screen sends a signal to SDRC that was not expected leaving SDRC thinking that stuff is already drawn. Since this affects many many modules in the code and there is a workaround, I suspect Simon might log this and defer fixing it.

As a simpler work around what happens when you open a note pad and expand it to full screen then dismiss it? That would cover all the windows leading to a redraw for everything, I believe.

{^_^}

Simon G4ELI

Unread post by Simon G4ELI »

K1FSY wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2023 3:29 pm Hello again! I have another report which happens occasionally when I have the SDR console unfocused and behind other windows, but not minimized. After some length of time (usually long) I return to the console and find that a lot of the widgets have disappeared and aren't redrawn. The screenshot below shows what is missing. Buttons and the TX/RX frequency come back if I mouse over them (presumably because of the mouseover effects), but in order to get the frequency ribbons to redraw it requires a minimize and restore. Minimize/restore always fixes all of the buttons. Using Windows 11.

I know - and I don't know exactly why this happens.
Simon Brown :shock:
www.sdr-radio.com

Do not send me direct e-mail, thank-you!

Simon G4ELI

Unread post by Simon G4ELI »

Simon G4ELI wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2023 5:15 am

I know - and I don't know exactly why this happens.
I may have solved this problem!
Simon Brown :shock:
www.sdr-radio.com

Do not send me direct e-mail, thank-you!

K1FSY

Unread post by K1FSY »

Nice! Will look forward to a new beta eventually :)

K1FSY

Unread post by K1FSY »

Hi Simon,

Thanks for fixing the refresh issue! I do see one lingering spot where it still doesn't refresh: the frequency ribbon between the spectrum scope and panadapter. Everything else seems to refresh perfectly now. Here is a new screenshot: