No reception after new beta version

Discussion of the RTL-SDR type of radios suct as Noo-Elec etc.
Guntram

No reception after new beta version

Unread post by Guntram »

Today I did install the newest beta version of sdr-console. until now I used the 3.3 build 2848. After installation I got no reception with my rtl dongle. I went back to the earlier version and all was ok. Do I missing something to install the newest version? Any help / info is welcome.. btw: Pc Windows 11.
73 Guntram oe9dgv

Max

Re: No reception after new beta version

Unread post by Max »

Guntram wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2023 7:40 pm Today I did install the newest beta version of sdr-console. until now I used the 3.3 build 2848. After installation I got no reception with my rtl dongle. I went back to the earlier version and all was ok. Do I missing something to install the newest version? Any help / info is welcome.. btw: Pc Windows 11.
73 Guntram oe9dgv
Latest SDRC Beta working fine here with RTL-SDR V4 and I also went back and checked RTL-SDR V3. Both work fine.

Does the RTL start and run when you push "Start"? If it seems to run, send a screenshot here as an ATTACHMENT. Do not crop or alter/change the screenshot generated by SDRC:

https://www.sdr-radio.com/screenshot

This might help us to see what is going on. What brand is the RTL Dongle?

Max

Max

Unread post by Max »

Guntram wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2023 7:40 pm I got no reception with my rtl dongle.

73 Guntram oe9dgv
Also, please explain what you mean when you say "got no reception"? For example, is there just noise but no signals? Or no noise at all even if you increase the visual gain? What frequencies are you trying to receive? HF/VHF/UHF?

As I say, screenshot will help.

Max

Guntram

Unread post by Guntram »

Hi! Tnx for replays!

No reception was not the right description.. It seems, that the rtl receive not the right freqency but I did not change anything in the configuration of the definations of rtl dongle and after reinstallation of the older version all was ok and again no change in the definitions of the dongle..
I send 2 screenshots, one with the older version and one with the newest version.
Attachments
Screenshot-2023-10-15-224113.jpeg
Screenshot-2023-10-15-224113.jpeg (247.33 KiB) Viewed 1200 times
Screenshot-2023-10-15-223929.jpeg
Screenshot-2023-10-15-223929.jpeg (179.92 KiB) Viewed 1200 times

Guntram

Unread post by Guntram »

once again the newest version:
Attachments
Screenshot-2023-10-15-230317.jpeg
Screenshot-2023-10-15-230317.jpeg (192.79 KiB) Viewed 1192 times

Max

Unread post by Max »

Guntram wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2023 8:51 pm No reception was not the right description.. It seems, that the rtl receive not the right freqency but I did not change anything in the configuration of the definations of rtl dongle and after reinstallation of the older version all was ok and again no change in the definitions of the dongle..
Must admit I don't see anything obvious here. However, did you try going to "Definitions". Then delete the current RTL definition, close down then re-open SDRC (this step probably not necessary, but just in case) the re-add the RTL Radio Definition? I can't help feeling it's something to do with the new RTL DLL that has been added in the new Beta version? May be necessary to "re-sense" the dongle.

Also, what make is the dongle? Is it generic dongle or is it RTL-SDR Blog V3 or similar?

Max

Guntram

Unread post by Guntram »

Did not help.. very curious. Its a NooElec rtl dongle. On reception I can hear noise and perhaps wide in the background but not readable modulation. And once again, I do not change anything I only start the new update - only noise change again nothing start the older update-version and there is all ok, noise plus modulation hi.
Tnx for the help, will see, whats going on.
73 Guntram oe9dgv.

Guntram

Unread post by Guntram »

one info:

The last version which works on my side is the version from 1. August 2023. In the description of the next version I read:

RTL Dongle
RF Gain selection 'Automatic' now correctly restored.
Support for RTL-SDR Blog V4.

It seems, that was the change, which cause my problems here. So do I need a version 4 of the dongle?

Guntram oe9dgv.

Max

Unread post by Max »

Guntram wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2023 7:49 pm The last version which works on my side is the version from 1. August 2023. In the description of the next version I read:

RTL Dongle
RF Gain selection 'Automatic' now correctly restored.
Support for RTL-SDR Blog V4.

It seems, that was the change, which cause my problems here. So do I need a version 4 of the dongle?

Guntram oe9dgv.
Sounds like there is a chance that the updated RTL-SDR DLL may have caused unforeseen issue with Nooelec RTL dongle.

To be very clear, the "V4" does NOT refer to Nooelec V4. It refers to RTL-SDR Blog V4 R828D available here:
https://www.rtl-sdr.com/buy-rtl-sdr-dvb-t-dongles/

I can confirm that this is an excellent dongle and works well with Simon's latest updates.

For your issue, can I suggest that in the Radio Configuration panel, you change "HF Mode" to NONE (or whatever is the top drop-down option) instead of "In Phase".

Also that in the same panel, you turn AGC to ON.
RTL.png
RTL.png (187.71 KiB) Viewed 1147 times
Try one or both of those options and see what happens?

Max

Guntram

Unread post by Guntram »

So, all is functional again, also the newest version!
The problem was, that the new version set the VHF Gain in the radio panel to 0db. Automatic did it and this was the reason, that I heard some modulation wide in the background.
Thanks for good help here in the forum.
73 Guntram oe9dgv.