Build 3131 - Selection of RSP2's fails

All bug reports here please
g4ogi

Build 3131 - Selection of RSP2's fails

Unread post by g4ogi »

I now have a second SDRPlay RSP receiver. The RSPduo sits alongside the RSP2 and the venerable Perseus.
It seems that with Build 3131 I can't have both RSPs connected to their respective ports at the same time as SDRC fails to detect either when asked.
If then select the Perseus that seems to work as expected.

The only was I have found to persuade SDRC to detect one RSP radio is to physically disconnect their USB connections and delete both drivers using Windows Device Mangler (see attachment 1)
Then perform a soft reboot [the operator spinning around three times anti-clockwise and clicking their fingers is assumed].
Attachment 1 - Windows Device Manager Assigments
Attachment 1 - Windows Device Manager Assigments
Station4-Device-Assignments-2023-10-25 074619.jpg (115.29 KiB) Viewed 801 times
On re-connecting a single RSP radio normal operation for that receiver seems to be restored.
If I then physically reconnect a second RSP receiver and try to select it (noting that Windows has found the device), The SDRC scren changes size as if it is straining to do something and the message in the title bar says "(Not Responding)". After what I assume is a timeout period it reverts to passive mode and I can only select Perseus.
SDRc Device Assigments
SDRc Device Assigments
SDRc-Device-Assignments-Receivers-2023-10-25 074850.jpg (51.62 KiB) Viewed 801 times
Any further selection of RSP receiver is not possible and then only way seems to be to delete them and restart the system.
(Life is too short to figure out how to assign the receivers in SDRuno)

I was able to run both and switch receivers easily under the previous release so it appears that something has changed in Build 3131

Nick - G4OGI

Max

Re: Build 3131 - Selection of RSP2's fails

Unread post by Max »

g4ogi wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 7:36 am Any further selection of RSP receiver is not possible and then only way seems to be to delete them and restart the system.
(Life is too short to figure out how to assign the receivers in SDRuno)

I was able to run both and switch receivers easily under the previous release so it appears that something has changed in Build 3131

Nick - G4OGI
Nick, not totally clear by what you mean by "delete". I think you meant delete from Windows? After you have run the SDR Play API and detected each receiver in turn using the RSP software (which I think is what you meant by "deleted"?) and so now you see them in the Windows Device Manager (as shown in your screenshot) did you also delete both of the Definitions in the SDRC "Select Radio" dialogues, the try re-searching for them again inside SDRC?

Max

g4ogi

Re: Build 3131 - Selection of RSP2's fails

Unread post by g4ogi »

Delete in this context means deleting (but NOT) unistalling the devices drivers from Windows Device Mangler, absolutely no need to uninstall the drives as they are known to work.
On the next run of SDRC, Windows then reloads them and most times is succeful in making the appropriate decision to allow SDRC to connect.

In this case where I have two RSPs, one an RSP2 , the other an RSPduo using them id pronlematic.
I think I have found the reason.

The RSP2 crashes and burns if you have selected Reference Locking and it is not there (or is lost when running)
The RSPDuo copes better whether lock is there or not.

Today I locked both receiver together. The RSP2 to the LB 24MHz signal, then its ref-OUT is connected to the RSPDuo.
So far I have been able to switch between the Perseus, RSP2 and RSPDuo without any issues

So there maybe an issue when running RSPs that if one is Ref-locked and the other isn't SDRC gets upset.