Build 3131 Eating Up Ram & Locks Up the Computer

All bug reports here please
Scanner8143

Build 3131 Eating Up Ram & Locks Up the Computer

Unread post by Scanner8143 »

Hi,

I have been having lockups using Build 3131 on 3 separate computers, one is a 9th Generation Intel Core i9 Processor i9-9880H, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1650 and 2 are 12th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-12650H with Intel® UHD Graphics, and all have 64gb of ram and running Windows 11. Usually what happens is the RAM usage goes to about 95% and I cannot close SDR Console, I can close everything else though. If I catch it below 50% RAM usage I can sometimes get SDR Console to close and then the RAM clears and I can bring SDR Console back up.

The other problem I noticed is if I have SDR Console Minimized it will continue to use more and more RAM into the gigabytes, but when I leave the screen up it stays below 300mb.

One last thing, I am using CTCSS codes where I can and I still get interference coming through like if someone close by is using a lawn mower or someone nearby is using a two-way, I do not get the interference on my portable two-way radios or my scanners and I sometimes have to turn the Squelch setting up so high I miss the traffic that I want to hear. I wish SDR Console had Digital (DCS/DPL) codes also, many frequencies used around here use digital codes instead of CTCSS codes. I am using 4 RTL-SDR Blog v3 & 2 RTL-SDR Blog v4 SDR's.

jdow

Re: Build 3131 Eating Up Ram & Locks Up the Computer

Unread post by jdow »

Picture? Settings are important. Show all floating windows so the configuration is known. Otherwise Simon may be left with too little information for debugging.

(Full size attachments, of course.)

{o.o}

Scanner8143

Unread post by Scanner8143 »

jdow wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2023 9:40 am Picture? Settings are important. Show all floating windows so the configuration is known. Otherwise Simon may be left with too little information for debugging.

(Full size attachments, of course.)

{o.o}
Sorry for the delay, here are some screenshots.
2023-12-15_160754.jpg
2023-12-15_160754.jpg (398.27 KiB) Viewed 1540 times
2023-12-15_160246.jpg
2023-12-15_160246.jpg (417.53 KiB) Viewed 1540 times
2023-12-15_160219.jpg
2023-12-15_160219.jpg (416.99 KiB) Viewed 1540 times

Max

Unread post by Max »

Scanner8143 wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 3:26 pm Hi,

I have been having lockups using Build 3131 on 3 separate computers, one is a 9th Generation Intel Core i9 Processor i9-9880H, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1650 and 2 are 12th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-12650H with Intel® UHD Graphics, and all have 64gb of ram and running Windows 11. Usually what happens is the RAM usage goes to about 95% and I cannot close SDR Console, I can close everything else though. If I catch it below 50% RAM usage I can sometimes get SDR Console to close and then the RAM clears and I can bring SDR Console back up.

The other problem I noticed is if I have SDR Console Minimized it will continue to use more and more RAM into the gigabytes, but when I leave the screen up it stays below 300mb.

One last thing, I am using CTCSS codes where I can and I still get interference coming through like if someone close by is using a lawn mower or someone nearby is using a two-way, I do not get the interference on my portable two-way radios or my scanners and I sometimes have to turn the Squelch setting up so high I miss the traffic that I want to hear. I wish SDR Console had Digital (DCS/DPL) codes also, many frequencies used around here use digital codes instead of CTCSS codes. I am using 4 RTL-SDR Blog v3 & 2 RTL-SDR Blog v4 SDR's.
Regarding the lawnmower noise with CTCSS enabled, have you seen note to enable high pass filter? No idea if this is relevant or not but worth a look perhaps?

https://www.sdr-radio.com/modes

Regarding crashing, I'm am pretty sure I read something similar a short time ago related to window positioning, particularly I think maybe it was the RX DSP that was detached in that particular case (I might be remembering this incorrectly). Maybe experiment with some different window layouts to see if same occurs and if so try and pin down to which layouts cause the issue and which don't. TBH it's the first time I even realised that RX DSP could be enabled in the RX Matrix window. Also looks from one of the shots that you may be running two instances of SDRC simultaneously? If that is so, what about running just one instance. Same issue?

As Joanne has asked, do you have any other panels floating and not docked that we can't see in the screenshots? Or do you just have two windows open, the main SDRC window and the RX Matrix window?

Max

Max

Unread post by Max »

Max wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 11:56 pm
Regarding the lawnmower noise with CTCSS enabled, have you seen note to enable high pass filter? No idea if this is relevant or not but worth a look perhaps?

https://www.sdr-radio.com/modes
Should have said in my last post the relevant quote about CTCSS is right at bottom of page:

https://www.sdr-radio.com/modes#NarrowFM

Max

jdow

Unread post by jdow »

OK, I see a note at the top of the resource monitor that says high ram tasks are consuming (only) 8.77G of ram. Are you sure you really have 64G of ram? Is the onboard graphics of the CPU chip turned off? If not how much ram is allocated to video? SDRConsole surely is not using all that ram. Only two instances are shown with each using 4G. My working hypothesis is that the onboard graphics are enabled and told to use (more than) 50 G of ram - or some of your ram is kaput. That can be checked with "TaskManager" using its performance tab and the "Memory" selection on the left.

{^_^}