RSP1A not starting

All bug reports here please
Nyehehe7777

RSP1A not starting

Unread post by Nyehehe7777 »

Hi,
so I went the cheap way, because this is what I could afford. I bought a clone RSP1A from Aliexpress.
It works fine with SDRConnect.
Does not start with SDRUno no matter which version, albeit it starts right after installation, but not if I restart the program.
In SDRConsole it won't start no matter which API pair I use. According to logfile the cause is:

sdrplay_api_SelectDevice failed: sdrplay_api_FailedVerification5

I'm pretty sure it is because of the serial number does not match with sdrplay database.
Is there any workaround for this or I just bought an expensive paperweight?
Attached is the logfile.
I tried API 3.06, 3.07, 3.08 and 3.09 with respective .dll files available on SDRC website.

Please be kind, I'm new to this SDR stuff :-)
Attachments
SDR Console tmp.txt
(18.32 KiB) Downloaded 65 times

KA1GJU

Re: RSP1A not starting

Unread post by KA1GJU »

Next time, buy an Airspy HF+ Discovery, you won't look back!
It's Plug n Play and not plagued with all the issues the RSP1A has. I have only one RSP1A left on my SDRC Server farm, and it's my last choice of SDR to operate of my 14 available. Too many variables to fiddle with, overloads with AM signals easily on good antennas, AGC that pumps when a strong pulsing signal is w/in the operating BW (CW) and will hear itself unless you modify the plastic shell with copper foil. But if you really need that much bandwidth at one time, then go for it.
The Airspy unit OTOH, I simply turn on the pre-amp when on 20m and higher no fiddling with controls. The AGC stays on high (or low), Attenuator OFF, and Visual Gain of 0dB for 99.999% of the time.

73 Kriss KA1GJU Home of the KA1GJU Super Station SDRC Servers in NH, USA (FN42mw & FN43na)
73 Kriss KA1GJU Home of the KA1GJU Super Station SDRC Servers in NH, USA (FN42mw & FN43na)

Max

Re: RSP1A not starting

Unread post by Max »

Nyehehe7777 wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 3:20 am Hi,
so I went the cheap way, because this is what I could afford. I bought a clone RSP1A from Aliexpress.

Please be kind, I'm new to this SDR stuff :-)
Not being judgemental, but in future please don't line the pockets of counterfeiters on Aliexpress. Anyone on here knows I'm not the greatest fan of SDR Play receivers, but the design is proprietary and they don't deserve to have people rip off their copyrighted designs when they are trying to run a business.

If you are on a budget there is the RTL-SDR Blog V4 (the genuine version of course) which is quite remarkable for the money at just $30. In many situations and with maybe some additional front end bandpass filters if you really want the very best out of it, performance is probably nearly as good as an RSP1A anyway:

https://www.rtl-sdr.com/buy-rtl-sdr-dvb-t-dongles/

Max