low power on HL2

All bug reports here please
Pascal

low power on HL2

Unread post by Pascal »

Hi, new on this forum.
I use HL2 with all softwares like Thetis Sparksdr and Quisk, but with SDR console V3.2 or 3.3 the output power is around 0.5 W when speaking in the mic ( drive , proc & gain 100%) - Tune or whistle gives around 4 W a little bit less than other soft. Can i find a way to improve the modulation level ?
Pascal F6EHP

Max

Re: low power on HL2

Unread post by Max »

Pascal wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 10:39 am Hi, new on this forum.
I use HL2 with all softwares like Thetis Sparksdr and Quisk, but with SDR console V3.2 or 3.3 the output power is around 0.5 W when speaking in the mic ( drive , proc & gain 100%) - Tune or whistle gives around 4 W a little bit less than other soft. Can i find a way to improve the modulation level ?
Pascal F6EHP
Hello Pascal

Yes, SDRC does need you to use the gain controls to drive the audio stage harder than you think you would need. Use the SDRC audio processor (PROC). It is extremely good and does not compromise the audio quality. Do not be afraid to use it. Audio quality is preserved very well even at high settings.

Also be aware....... "ALC" meter is NOT ALC in the traditional sense. You need to drive the ALC meter to peak 100%.

Also, in the TX DSP panel, use the audio waveform monitor to make audio peak 100% scale.

I show my audio settings and some comments on settings in the attached picture. I get very good compliments on my TX audio quality and I have also monitored it on Web SDRs. It is very clean.

Max
Attachments
Audio-Setup.jpg
Audio-Setup.jpg (593.94 KiB) Viewed 1397 times

Pascal

Unread post by Pascal »

Thank you Max,

I have exactly the same settings ! giving a poor level of modulation. What is strange is the "mic boost" adjustment : nothing or 20db give the same result.

Pascal F6EHP

Max

Unread post by Max »

Pascal wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 5:23 pm Thank you Max,

I have exactly the same settings ! giving a poor level of modulation. What is strange is the "mic boost" adjustment : nothing or 20db give the same result.

Pascal F6EHP
Hi again Pascal. Not sure I understand why no boost seen when applying the 20dB? I agree there is no difference at all visible with PROC applied, but that's because of the compression. If you turn PROC off, or turn Proc level to zero I am sure you will be able to see the difference as you switch the boost between 0dB and 20dB. I can see it clearly.

I still do think the main issue is (1) not enough audio drive at the audio input (do you use an audio interface of any sort?) and (2) you can be very generous with the Proc level. As I say, if you can get a good healthy audio signal to peak fully on the audio spectrum scope and (most importantly) drive the ALC meter to 100% then you should be OK. If you follow this and still see low power out I'm not sure what the issue could be?

I can only suggest you post a full screenshot in the "problem" condition (attachment) that show the audio scope display (envelope node) with your audio applied, and pushing ALC to 100% but also showing the low power output. It might help to see what's going on?

Max