Omnirig behaviour

All bug reports here please
RudyOtten

Re: Omnirig behaviour

Unread post by RudyOtten »

Thanks Max for another response.

I will try later this week, currently stuck with other business, I will let you know the outcome.
It definitely could be related to SDRC and VSPE setup, as it looks that the communications only goes one way.
I had that tested with a serial port debugger program.

Regards,

Rudy

PS, Maybe that somebody else has used VSPE? without issues?

RudyOtten

We are almost there :-)

I say this because I think that my issue was a combination of things.

After using Com0Com I still had an issue however it was different from the initial one.

I then noticed by checking all settings and comparing it to what you showed me and I found that I still had the external radio option selected :roll:
ExternalRadio.png
ExternalRadio.png (45.58 KiB) Viewed 571 times
I had not seen this before, probably because the radio box was minimized.

After I unchecked this option and restarted SDRC things started to work the way I expect it to.

Still I have 1 question: When I look at the CW-Skimmer option dialog panel you see that you can enable it, but there is also a COM port setting.

What is different to this COM port versus the COM port that you can set in the general options panel?

I added the 2 screen shots for clarification.
Options1.png
Options1.png (31.47 KiB) Viewed 571 times
Options2.png
Options2.png (23.73 KiB) Viewed 571 times
Regards,

Rudy

Max

Unread post by Max »

RudyOtten wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 11:18 am We are almost there :-)

Regards,

Rudy
Hi Rudy

Very pleased to hear we are finally cracking it.

As far as I am aware these two screens are totally independent of each other. The CWS setup page defines the port to use purely for CWS.

The other COM ports page is to reserve/set COM ports that communicate directly with logging programs, WSJT-X etc etc. So in other works, say you've used COM 11/12 as the pair for CWS, then you do not want either of those checked in the other COM ports list as they are already spoken for by CWS. That's the way I understand it anyway.

I've pretty much decided to bite the bullet and pay out for CWS myself as my various trial versions expired so I will be better placed to offer more support with CWS when I have my own copy up and running again.

Anyway, I was pretty sure it was solvable so glad you are getting there at last.

Max

RudyOtten

Hi Max,
The other COM ports page is to reserve/set COM ports that communicate directly with logging programs, WSJT-X etc etc. So in other works, say you've used COM 11/12 as the pair for CWS, then you do not want either of those checked in the other COM ports list as they are already spoken for by CWS. That's the way I understand it anyway.
I tested this and what I discovered it that you can use both tick boxes at the same time. So you can have CWS enable tick box "ticked" and leave the COM port tick box "unticked" as long as you have it set in the general options. Or you have it set in CWS options or even in both places. I guess that Simon just wanted to group some essential settings in one place. In this case for CWS.

You can use multiple programs ast the same time connected to SDRC as it is Omni-Rig that is the interface for all of them. Each program connects/talks to Omni-Rig and Omni-Rig in turn
communicates via the selected COM port to SDRC.

Thanks for your help.

For me the topic can be considered closed :-)

Rudy

Max

Unread post by Max »

RudyOtten wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 2:21 pm Hi Max,
I tested this and what I discovered it that you can use both tick boxes at the same time. So you can have CWS enable tick box "ticked" and leave the COM port tick box "unticked" as long as you have it set in the general options. Or you have it set in CWS options or even in both places. I guess that Simon just wanted to group some essential settings in one place. In this case for CWS.

Thanks for your help. For me the topic can be considered closed :-)

Rudy
Hi Rudy. Yes, I think that's true unless you try and communicate with another program (WSJT-X for example) on the same port you allocate from SDRC to Omnirig. But if it's only allocated to Omnirig and has no other conflicting traffic on it then as you say it does not matter. For me I will tend to keep the the pair of ports allocated to CWS unticked to avoid any conflict.

Max