SDR console and RTL dongle

cmg

SDR console and RTL dongle

Unread post by cmg »

Hi
I hope you forgive my ignorance.
To use SDR console on a Windows PC to control a raspberry pi 4 with 1 RTL-sdr dongle, what do I need to install in the raspberry (drivers, software, etc.) ?
Many thanks in advance
Regards

Max

Re: SDR console and RTL dongle

Unread post by Max »

cmg wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 9:58 pm Hi
I hope you forgive my ignorance.
To use SDR console on a Windows PC to control a raspberry pi 4 with 1 RTL-sdr dongle, what do I need to install in the raspberry (drivers, software, etc.) ?
Many thanks in advance
Regards
You can run RTL-SDR directly (locally) by simply adding it as a radio to SDR Console. But what I think you mean is you want to run the RTL-SDR as a remote radio, hence the RPi host? In this case (bearing on mind SDR Console is Windows only software) you would need to be running Windows on the RPi (I think it can run Windows 10?), then install the SDRC Server on the RPi to allow remote access from the PC, which would run the SDRC client to access the remote radio.

See the information on setting up SDR Console Server here:
https://www.sdr-radio.com/server

Max

cmg

Unread post by cmg »

Hi
Thanks for your response.
My question results from the following: I saw a video of the radioberry installation on a Raspberry pi which was controlled on a laptop (Win) by the sdr console. The radioberry, in my case, is too much as I don't intend to transmit, just receive (HF) so I remembered to use the RTL-sdr dongle.
Thanks again
Regards

Max

Unread post by Max »

cmg wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 3:37 pm Hi
Thanks for your response.
My question results from the following: I saw a video of the radioberry installation on a Raspberry pi which was controlled on a laptop (Win) by the sdr console. The radioberry, in my case, is too much as I don't intend to transmit, just receive (HF) so I remembered to use the RTL-sdr dongle.
Thanks again
Regards
Ah, OK. I might have misunderstood how this works but not quite sure to be honest. Here is a post from the SDR Console Test Team from Mike Richards G4WNC:

"Johan’s built an HPSDR v2.0 protocol emulator for the Raspberry Pi that makes the Radioberry look like an ANAN 10E. In SDR-Console you just search for ANAN (OpenHPSDR) and the Radioberry shows up as an ANAN Hermes (10E, 100B). There’s still more work to do on the transmit side of the emulator, but receive is working well.
I’m putting together a getting started guide for the Radioberry, so I’ll send a copy direct to your email when it’s done. Mike – G4WNC"

So what I think they are doing is that the RPi and Radioberry combination (presumably running Linux on the RPi?) is made to mimic the Anan 10E, which can then be connected to a Windows laptop, on which SDR Console is installed. I doubt you can do this with an RTL-SDR?

But the question is, why would you want to, when you just install SDR Console on the Windows laptop and plug in the RTL-SDR to the laptop USB port surely?

https://www.sdr-radio.com/rtl-dongles

Apologies if I have totally missed something here!

Max

cmg

Unread post by cmg »

Hi
Thanks again.
The purpose is to be able to receive without being physically close to the "receiver"/raspberry, and the connection to the antenna, that is, the receiver/raspberry and connection to the antenna in a fixed place and the reception/listening (tablet or laptop) anywhere, provided that, of course, on the same network.

Regards

Max

Unread post by Max »

cmg wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 11:06 pm Hi
Thanks again.
The purpose is to be able to receive without being physically close to the "receiver"/raspberry, and the connection to the antenna, that is, the receiver/raspberry and connection to the antenna in a fixed place and the reception/listening (tablet or laptop) anywhere, provided that, of course, on the same network.

Regards
Ah, OK. I suspect this may not be possible using RPi and RTL-SDR. There may be others on here that know better, but the point about the Radioberry is it emulates the Anan protocol which is an ethernet connected radio (well, I assume it is, as is the Hermes Lite 2). I have no idea if this has been done with the RTL-SDR. The point is that the API/radio controls are totally different. I think if you want to implement this then easiest way would be to use an SDR that connects via LAN/ethernet which the Hermes Lite does.

For USB 2 it's possible (apparently) to extend the USB cable distance up to about 30m using an "active usb extension cable". I've never tried this so don't know how successful.

The other option would be run Win10 on the RPi and then install SRD Console server on that, but I note from Simon's notes that he says it only runs on x86 or x64 architecture so I don't know if that's possible. ANd then you would connect over the network. Maybe it is possible? I don't remember seeing anyone who mentions having done it. Simon will know if it's possible?

Another option. Use a old/redundant Windows laptop to run SDRC Server at the remote end? Server is not very demanding apparently, as per the link I gave in my first message:

https://www.sdr-radio.com/server

Max

KA1GJU

Unread post by KA1GJU »

Be mindful that Raspberry Pi's can be great transmitters... of HF QRM from the unshielded computer and the cheap switching power supply. I have one in the attic for an ADSB RXR and had to use FT240-31 ferrite cores on the Ethernet cable and power cable to tame the QRM. It still generates noise, but now my RX antennas are far away out in the woods now. So be sure to separate the antenna and Raspberry Pi as far as you can! What frequencies are you planning on RXing? Don't get you hopes up on using an RTL dongle on HF and expect great results. You would be better off with an Airspy unit such as HF+ Discovery for the HF bands.
73 Kriss KA1GJU Home of the KA1GJU Super Station SDRC Servers in NH, USA (FN42mw & FN43na)