Reduction in CPU usage via CUDA

What you need to run the software
NO6B

Reduction in CPU usage via CUDA

Unread post by NO6B »

My current system is a Z87A MB w/16 GB RAM & Corei7 4770 CPU using integrated Intel graphics. On average with everything else I'm running (ATSC tuner or YouTube TV & SDRuno or SDR# along with SDRC running 4 VRXs), CPU usage is around 50%. SDRC seems to be just happy with that, but sometimes I get a few holes punched in the demod'd audio along with glitches in the spectrum, so I'm kind of pushing things to the limit. So I'm wondering if adding an NVidia card will reduce the CPU load enough to resolve the occasional glitch problem. I already have all the spectrum & waterfall settings adjusted per Simon's recommendations for minimum loading, & in fact most of the time I don't even need the FFT display as I'm using SDRC for listening in the background & have it minimized. Does CUDA only help generate the FFT or does it do more to offload CPU usage?

Thanks

Bob NO6B

Simon G4ELI

Re: Reduction in CPU usage via CUDA

Unread post by Simon G4ELI »

Hi,

A GPU helps in two area:
  • Graphics - offloads graphics processing from the CPU
  • FFT (converting SDR data to Waterfall/Spectrum format)
A GPU is always good, can be reused when a new PC is purchased. I like the GTX 1650 Super - very good price / performance.
Simon Brown :shock:
www.sdr-radio.com

Do not send me direct e-mail, thank-you!

G6PZZ

Unread post by G6PZZ »

I'm glad this subject has cropped up again as I'm pricing up a new PC, mainly as a "radio" computer for SDRC. Up until now, I've struggled along with something pretty ancient and terribly underpowered. Now i want to other things i read about here! I've already had to drop from an i7 to an i5, 10th gen with a Z490 mobo chipset, 16GB memory (doubling up later), SSD OS drive and a 2TB HDD storage drive for recordings etc. I can possibly afford to upgrade the graphics from the GTX 1650 Super, but to what? Am i looking for more memory, a faster chip, more Cuda cores? Input greatly appreciated as I can't afford to get this wrong!! Looking for the best bang for my buck. TIA.
Tom

jdow

Unread post by jdow »

When choosing the CPU err on the side of chip clock rate rather than number of processors for a dedicated machine.
{^_^}

DaveB

Unread post by DaveB »

G6PZZ wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 3:28 pm I'm glad this subject has cropped up again as I'm pricing up a new PC, mainly as a "radio" computer for SDRC. Up until now, I've struggled along with something pretty ancient and terribly underpowered. Now i want to other things i read about here! I've already had to drop from an i7 to an i5, 10th gen with a Z490 mobo chipset, 16GB memory (doubling up later), SSD OS drive and a 2TB HDD storage drive for recordings etc. I can possibly afford to upgrade the graphics from the GTX 1650 Super, but to what? Am i looking for more memory, a faster chip, more Cuda cores? Input greatly appreciated as I can't afford to get this wrong!! Looking for the best bang for my buck. TIA.
Tom
I've just gone through the same - I am upgrading from an i5-4460 CPU with 8 GB RAM, 1TB HDD. It's very hard to know what is best. But have a look at CCL computers (cclonline.com).

CCL computers offer ready built and customised PCs. I looked at their business range and ended up specifying an i5-10400, 16GB RAM, 240GB SSD and 2TB HDD. I upgraded to a quiet PSU, a quiet CPU fan, a 4 x USB 3.0 PCIe card, and a faster Wifi card. It came to just under £600 inc VAT with 3 yr parts/labour hardware warranty. Win 10 is £100 extra but is all installed. I looked at the CCL300 and CCL400 desktops PCs as a starting point - but found the CCL400 gave a better price - downgrading the processor to an i5-10400. The motherboard has plenty of room for a double thickness GPU card without blocking access to the two PICex1 slots. You could add a GT1030 card for another £70.00. (I left out the graphics card as a later addition).

Comparing the retail cost of all the parts on their web-site with the prices for them custom building it - it wasn't worth thinking of diy - specially with the warranty and free delivery. I won't recommend them yet - because the PC is yet to arrive - but the sales people were helpful.

If nothing else the web-site is a good source of prices, and the customisation tool is a good idea - so you can compare with others.

With regard to the main question of CPU reduction - can someone(s) simply compare their CPU usage with/without CUDA enabled - but we would need to know the CPU and the graphics card. If there are a few replies it would give a spread of results between low spec systems eg GT730 and eg GT1030 and GTX 1650 cards

David

Simon G4ELI

Unread post by Simon G4ELI »

David,

If you use a F chip (no GPU) you same some money but must add a GPU.
Simon Brown :shock:
www.sdr-radio.com

Do not send me direct e-mail, thank-you!

DaveB

Unread post by DaveB »

Simon G4ELI wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 1:16 pm David,

If you use a F chip (no GPU) you same some money but must add a GPU.
The saving was £15.97 for an i5-10400F vs an i5-10400. I considered doing that and specifying a GT710 2GB card for £38.00. In a review comparing the GT710 to Intel's UHD630 graphics the GT710 came off worse. So decided I'd rather have the flexibility to make a better choice later (and maybe get a bargain when GT1030's become 'obsolete'). It will be interesting, to say the least, to compare the old and the new PC.

Thanks

PS it more than nice to be able preview and edit posts on this new forum.

G6PZZ

Unread post by G6PZZ »

TNX for the input Dave and Simon.
i looked at CCL's website and was quite impressed initially. An RTB warranty is not very useful in my view, and i wasn't happy with the choice of mobo. Gigabyte is my preferred brand but i wanted more than two spare slots and a few more USB2/3 ports. I think I've got that sorted, and with a Z490 chipset. I've been comparing SSD's and crying over price/capacity when I purchased a 240GB seven years ago! Interestingly, M.2 drives are now cheaper than their SATA equivalents, so that's another way I'm leaning.

Buying ready made also leaves out one very important aspect for me and that is maintaining old skill. Prior to suffering a stroke a dozen years ago i ran my own IT consultancy so it is a small matter of pride that I am still able to put one together by myself. I will reluctantly call on my son if required! The hardest part has been lining up the mobo with the backplane but that shouldn't be a problem today. Plus, its fun to DIY!

Max

Unread post by Max »

For anyone looking for ready built PCs in the UK you should also look at look at Scan (UK). Had them build my i7 about 8 years ago and it is still going extremely well with no need to upgrade. I recently added GTX1650 Super GPU. SDRC runs with ease.... just ticks over.

https://www.scan.co.uk/3xs

Max

wa4six

Unread post by wa4six »

One suggestion for overall speed is to use an NVME hard drive for the OS & software.

Ed